windows 98 wont run ? why

end 16:42 30 Sep 2004

colleague running win 98 ; before adding printer/scanner/copier to PC , ran ok, then after programing PC for the HP printer, refuses to load up beyond getting the Microsoft windows screan; gets buzzing noice from tower as soon as PC swicthed on;
disconnected new equipment from PC but still refuses to load up, and reconnected to printer but again refuses to load up;

(colleague is a beginner where dealing with computer problems are concerned , so basic, simple instructions on what to do or try would be apprreciated please; I have not seen the machine myself, but this is what she has described to me).

if necessary I will go and see the machine myself, but ideas on what to do or look for would be appreciated please;
tas

is NOT connected to the internet, so hopefully has not got any bugs/viruses on the thing:)
any suggestions please team...

VoG II 16:46 30 Sep 2004

See if it will start in Safe Mode click here

Then Start, MS-DOS (not quite sure where this is exactly in 98) and at the > prompt type

scanreg /restore

and press the Enter key. You should get a list of dates to restore from. Choose one (not the latest).

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:51 30 Sep 2004

If she has a boot disk then boot from floppy then:

From a:> type "scanreg /restore" without the quotes and hit ENTER.

If no floppy try boot to Command prompt c:\ then type "scanreg /restore" without the quotes and hit ENTER.

end 17:08 30 Sep 2004

she does not know what a boot disk is;
how does she boot to command prompt?

will be seeing her on Monday to try Vog@s suggestions, or how far she has managed, if at all, to get with them.
if necessary I will go and look at the machine armed with all these things to do, but will not have acceess to the net nor the forum at that machine:(

please keep suggestions coming , for my probable site visit,( yet another one!! ) and thanks team::))

VoG II 17:10 30 Sep 2004

You can download a boot disk onto a floppy from click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:14 30 Sep 2004

tap either F4 or F8 when booting to get a boot menu up select command prompt from there.

end 17:14 30 Sep 2004

thanks peoples; keep ideas coming, and will report back; and my colleague says a BIG THANKS::))( and so do I!!)

end 20:51 30 Sep 2004

which one on your click here do I choose to put onto floppy for her please?

VoG II 20:57 30 Sep 2004

For what you want to do it should not make any difference. Note that the Alt1, Alt2 etc. are just different download sites.

end 21:05 30 Sep 2004

tas:)

something is now on floppy..i think:)
just hope if I have to, that her machine will let it load and run..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?