windows 98 wont install ovr xp pro

Rickyv 13:52 27 Aug 2004

I sold my pc to my brother and a lot of games dont run on the operating system (xp pro) and i would like to install windows 98 again as the games used to work on this os. How can i go about instaling 98 over xp pro?

helmetshine 17:44 27 Aug 2004

Rickyv

I don't know how to do what you ask but you may not need to.If the games are installed click on their desktop icon and choose properties....then select the compatability tab,put a tick in the box entitled run this program in compatability mode and from the drop down box chosse Win98.Doesn't work for all games but might do for the ones you need

Cuddles 17:47 27 Aug 2004

You will probably find that a lot of older games will not run under xp, to put win98 back on you will have to format the drive and do a clean reinstall.

woodchip 18:18 27 Aug 2004

You have to start Computer with Win98 Floppy disc then type FDISK to remove NT partitions. Then create new partition Shut the computer of, NOT REBOOT, then restart with Floppy Disc and type Format C: and press enter. After format start computer win floppy disc and choose start with CD-ROM support if the CD-ROM is normally D:\ it will have moved up one letter so you need to make allowance for this, depending on what letter the CD drive letter is. then change to the virtual Drive Letter with the Win98 CD and type Setup

alnwrd 19:09 27 Aug 2004

You could have a dual boot, xp and win98. In my experience though win98 wants to be on the c drive so you will have to reformat the c drive, and load win 98. When this is up and running, put the xp disc in the cd drive, and reboot your computer. You should get the option to create another partition and load xp onto it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?