windows 98 won t boot??

andrew-196854 08:41 09 Apr 2006

a friend of mine was given a computer,he told me that when he went to boot it up he would get a message invaild system disk press any key to continue? any way knowing a bit about computers i made a boot floppy and typed the sys c: command. now that message has gone,and it proceeds a bit futher. now it say boot record from ide0 ok . then it has a command prompt with a c: and thats as far as it goes. ps i have no windows 98 setup discs

billyliv 08:47 09 Apr 2006

Hi, Looks like you are out of luck. Whoever gave the computer away has either removed or trashed the hard disk. Thats the way I see it. Cheers, Bill

terryf 08:52 09 Apr 2006

The problem is that if you try to load an up to date OS the system may not be capable. Email me using the yellow envelope and we can discuss it

User-312386 09:08 09 Apr 2006

at the command propmt type

scanreg/fix

this should fix the corrupt registry

If it goes back to the command prompt afterwards type exit

Diemmess 09:13 09 Apr 2006

Just to double check the situation ----
Go as far as the C:> prompt and then type DIR and press Enter.
The suspicion is that there will be a very short list indeed suggesting that all the old data on that HD has been deleted!

If you get a whole list of things including a folder labelled Windows then there may be some hope.
It is possible that there might even be a folder listed.... Win98.
If you find that one, then post back for a possible solution.

andrew-196854 09:47 09 Apr 2006

madboy tried scanreg/fix nothing or do i have to do it with the boot disk in ?diemmess tried dir come up with a message volume of c drive has no label ps thanks for the replies

Diemmess 10:27 09 Apr 2006

Sorry to say it, but that message would be the one you receive after the drive has been formatted i.e. wiped of everything!

phil46 10:45 09 Apr 2006

Put W98 floppy in choose without CD Rom support
on the A:\ PROMPT type FDISK then delete the DOS Partition after that create new DOS partition and make it active reboot with the W98 floppy in drive choose again without CD Rom support on the A:\ PROMPT type FORMAT C: IF or what ever your HD Letter is.
When this is done reboot with the W98 floppy and W98 disk in drive and this time choose with CDrom
support on the A:\ Prompt type DIR/W then on the A:\ prompt type SETUP you should with a bit of luck now be able to load W98
REMEMBER ALL DATA WILL BE LOST YOU WILL REQUIRE
ALL DRIVER DISKS OR FLOPPYS.

andrew-196854 11:01 09 Apr 2006

thanks for all the replies, phil46 no win98 disk

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:14 09 Apr 2006

Looks like nothing wrong with the PC ther than it has no operating system.

Time to purchase a copy of windows or try linux.

What specs of PC? CPU speed, memory, hard drive size?
All seen on boot screen.

then we can advise on what system it can run.

User-312386 11:17 09 Apr 2006

have you tried to type exit at the command prompt?

Can you give us some system specs and the make of the computer please

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017