Windows 98.. upgrading to Windows XP

hoya 00:23 29 Apr 2004

Has anyone done their own upgrade. Or is it best to give it to someone to do for you,

Smegs 00:41 29 Apr 2004

Do it yourself. As long as you have all your drives for your hardware, not a problem. Boot your pc from CDdrive, follow on screen instructions. click here

ZEROTOLERANCE 00:48 29 Apr 2004

ive just upgraded from win 2000 to XP
had some probs sorting the modem out afterwards but other than that it was REALLY easy and im a top novice

woody 01:52 29 Apr 2004

If you have already paid for xp you do not have much to loose except time.

If you have not paid for it yet why do you want to upgrade?

As already posted make sure you can get drivers for all your hardware and check if your old software will work.

Lozzy 02:08 29 Apr 2004

My strong suggestion to you is back up all your drivers as you modem may be the only issue after the upgrade. click here and this will do it for you.

I would also strongly advise a clean install rather than an upgrade install. Start the win XP cd in Win 98 follow the wizard then I think its the 3rd screen of the wizard click the downward arrow and alter it from Recommended Install to Full Installation. Also make the file system NTFS

Make sure you have backed up all your data first as you will loose it other wise.

ened 07:10 29 Apr 2004

As Lozzy says a clean install is best but, if you have only paid for an upgrade, make sure you have your 98 cd as it will need you to prove you already had an earlier os.

hoya 10:05 01 May 2004

I think I will have a go many thanks for the advice. Will come back if there are any problems

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone