Windows 98 upgrade to Xp

karatekid20297 18:02 25 Nov 2006

Hi
I am new to all this. I had windows XP installed on my old computer. Cut a long story short - my hard drive packed in and all the information was erased. My friend has given me a computer she had, however it has 98 installed. It has all the requirements to accommodate XP; 256 memory/160G external hardrive.
I have dug out my old computer and the XP serial Code is on the top of it. When I enter this on to the installation disc, it is saying it is invalid. I am guessing because this is specific to my old computer. The question I am asking is: Can I get the XP off my old computer nad install it on this one. Any information at all would be appreciated.
Thanks

Strawballs 19:12 25 Nov 2006

No because even if you take the harddrive out of your old PC and put it in the other one XP will detect the complete change in hardware and require you to reativate it plus even if you get passed that it will then install the drivers for the new system which will proberbly conflict with the ones from the old one.
Sorry.

lotvic 19:37 28 Nov 2006

but you can do it the other way round - put the hard drive from your new pc(w98 pc) into your old pc and install your XP from cd onto it.

lotvic 19:43 28 Nov 2006

What make is your 'old XP' computer?
Is your disk a 'recovery disk' for XP?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?