Windows 98 upgrade to ME

levyo1 19:30 03 Jan 2006

My friend has got a system with windows 98 installed but she has also got a windows ME disc she can install.Is it possible to just load the programme as normal or will it cause problems?Or is it as easy as just installing a new programme?Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Stuartli 20:01 03 Jan 2006
  Stuartli 20:06 03 Jan 2006

Better:

click here

LAPTOPBABE 20:10 03 Jan 2006

I would say steer clear from Windows ME, I had it and had all sorts of problems. Every professional I have ever spoken to hasn't had a good word to say about it, i say upgrade to Windows XP and cut out the middle man!

Zeppelyn 20:15 03 Jan 2006

Would definitely agree If Win98 is behaving Ok then I would steer clear of ME.

Bogbrain 22:50 03 Jan 2006

Strikes me the only difference between the two o/s's is that ME has 'restore' I went straight from Win 98 SE to Win 2000 - vast impovement, specially with NTFS.
Incidentally, I got my Win 2000 upgrade cd from ebay,absolute bargain. I have installed Win 2000 on both my pc's, it runs a treat.I was also able to transfer all by backed up personal data and settings as well. Yes, I agree, best advice at least go to Win 2000 if not Win XP. It'll cost a lot more to go to XP though, and personally, I'm not a fan of XP. It's far too big and cumbersome for my needs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How secure is your Wi-Fi?

AMD vs Intel: we put the most powerful desktops for designers and artists head-to-head

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017