Windows 98 startup pause

davidg_richmond 21:23 09 Apr 2003

Despite me going on about Windows 98 being more stable today i have one question you guys may be able to help me with:

When booting up Windows 98, my PC gets to the 'Windows 98' cloud screen, then pauses for about 10 seconds without disk access. There are no files being updated, and it happens with or without CDs in the drives. This problem has occurred on all previous Win98 installations, and occurs without any other software than Windows on the system.

This is annoying as it increases the bootup time quite a bit.

Switcher 21:36 09 Apr 2003

Rename your autoexec.bat to autoexec.xxx and your config.sys to config.xxx temporarily and restart you PC to see if this has any effect if not then rename them to original and give up and enjoy the 10 second respite from the pressures of life.

davidg_richmond 21:53 09 Apr 2003

just tried that switcher, no joy. and timed the boot up this time. its actually 23 seconds of pause each time it boots.

woodchip 22:01 09 Apr 2003

Download Tweak UI from click here at the top unzip right click on .INF file and choose install you can disable the logo with this as well as other useful items

woodchip 22:02 09 Apr 2003

PS the program defaults to the Control Panel it's created By the Microsoft team

davidg_richmond 15:47 10 Apr 2003

tried TweakUI, its got some great features but unfortunately it didn't work. i think i'll have to resign myself to long bootups and increase my coffee intake while i wait! got all the latest windows updates too, no difference.

BurrWalnut 16:29 10 Apr 2003

I think the delay is normal, in that it's checking memory. I suspect you have installed extra memory since first purchasing the computer.

woodchip 21:54 10 Apr 2003

You need Bla.exe to check the boot time of each item you have to create a new boot file so it means starting your computer and keep pressing F8 then choose create a boot file. you just then double click Bla.exe and it loads the time it takes for each component to load you then know what to look for that's slowing your boot time click here

fourth one down from the top

bloo meeny 21:58 10 Apr 2003

Sounds to me like a perfectly normal boot time.

After seeing this thread, I timed my 98SE "Windows Screen" at 21 seconds.

Lone Crow 23:38 10 Apr 2003

On the rare occasions I boot into 98 it does the same, and always has! LC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?