windows 98 security

brainstorm 20:39 31 May 2007

I was about to disconnect my old W98 pc from the net as I am not keen to be paying twice for security software. I also have a WXP pc with Macafee security software - both pcs are currently networked and I am becoming increasingly worried that my W98 pc is vulnerable. I have had no joy in finding any security freeware that will work with W98. Have tried a few suggested by other forums, but none progress beyond download.

Is there a solution other than to disconnect my W98 pc and use it as an extra storage hard drive?

PS I use Adaware and Spybot on the W98 pc an run them regularly. Interestingly I also run them on my WXP pc and both find items despite Macafee - once this years subscription to Macafee runs out I'll be looking for something better!

FreeCell 20:52 31 May 2007

AVG Free should run on Win 98.
click here

I have run it on a Win98SE machine, but it's mothballed right now.

If it isn't downloading and installing then suggests another issue.

brainstorm 21:06 31 May 2007

Thanks for the prompt response FreeCell, but do I need a Firewall and Antivirus as a minimum? AVG free is antivirus only. Or, another thought, are you implying my WXP provides the firwall as they're networked - is that how it works?

skidzy 21:35 31 May 2007

Handy link for you Brainstorm click here

FreeCell 21:49 31 May 2007

The level of protection depends on how you are networked.

If you are Internet Connection Sharing via the XP machine which is connected to your modem then its firewall will provide some protection to incoming attacks.

If you are using a router then it depends on whether it has any hardware firewall included and enabled. The WinXP machine will provide no protection.

You are still sensible to seek out a firewall that runs on Win 98, unfortunately the "top" free picks of ZoneAlarm and Comodo no longer run on Win98, unless you can find older versions, but of course these are no longer supported.

Strawballs 22:09 31 May 2007

If you have them networked through a router then most routers are hardware firewalls as well.

click here

woodchip 22:28 31 May 2007

If you use a Router you should not need a Firewall. I dont use one on a 98se Desktop, XP Desktop, and XP Laptop. On my XP comps I use Free Avast AV click here Registration lasts one year then you have to re-regiter

Ashrich 23:43 31 May 2007

For a good firewall for Win 98 try an older version of Sygate ...or , if you are using a router , enter the set up pages and make sure your firewall is turned on , by default they are usually set to "off "

Ashley

brainstorm 21:10 25 Jun 2007

Now sorted thanks to your advice.

woodchip 21:15 25 Jun 2007

Win98se Don't think there will be many viruses left for it now. Mostly for XP. They probable forgot how to write a 98 one

Belatucadrus 01:50 26 Jun 2007

Anti virus click here avast! free.

Firewall click here r-firewall

Anti Spyware click here WinCleaner AntiSpyware.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017