Windows 98 SE start up problems

dmm27 15:01 19 Jan 2006

Can anyone help please? Running win98SE. Lately it has had real problems booting up. Usually takes 3-4 attempts, needing to press reset, "windows failed to load last time" type of message, scandisc, eventually getting there via safe mode and then restarting into normal mode. I have checked device manager and it says everything is working OK

I have run no-adware, kaspersky, ad-aware etc and found and apparently deleted a windows32.downloader virus, but the problems still exist.

I have also run some reg checker programms and apparently have about 100 problems that need fixing.

I have a backup of files from about a month ago, but last time I tried to use the CD-R to copy a CD, the PC kept switching off or freezing, so I dont know if I can still back-up the last month of stuff.

Windows is installed on a separate partition to my data.

Any ideas gratefully received.
Thanks
dave

Wak 15:48 19 Jan 2006

If you wish to e-mail me via the little yellow envelope next to my name I will send you a 24KB .doc file covering trouble shooting and Fix StartUp problems in Win 98SE.
I use Win 98SE and have found it very useful at times.
Wak.

ROYWIDD 18:48 19 Jan 2006

Wak,I too am getting similar problems with 98se,may I please mail you to get the doc.file you have?

Wak 09:32 20 Jan 2006

Yes, Please do and I hope it helps.
Wak.

dmm27 11:39 20 Jan 2006

Thanks for the file, I have yet to work through it.

Interestingly the PC often seems to shut itself down when I close the CD or CDR tray, although I cant work out which one yet, as it takes too long to reboot to check!

If I unplug the leads from the back of the CD players, might this be enough, or will I need to get rid of the drivers as well?

Dave

Wak 12:56 20 Jan 2006

If it was me I would just unplug the leads of both units and see if it boots up OK.
If it does then reconnect one of the units and try opening and closing the tray.
If it still boots up OK then try connecting the other unit and try that tray.
I could be wrong but I wouldn't think the drivers come into operation until you insert a CD in the drive so leave the drivers alone for the time being and see how it goes.
If it still doesn't boot up correctly with the drives disconnected then it probably isn't the CD drives that are faulty.

woodchip 13:31 20 Jan 2006

Put your Win98se CD in Computer at Run Type SFC and run the program to fix Corrupt files

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?