Windows 98 read as audio CD?

faintly curious 16:47 10 Feb 2003

Having just formatted a disc and installed Windows 98 on it, I now find that when I need to access the disc to load drivers for cards etc, the system thinks that it is an audio disc and launches CD player. Also I cannot browse the disc. Yet other data discs are recognised and run without a problem. Please can anyone shed any light on this?

exodus 16:55 10 Feb 2003

Maybe Windows did not load properly or the Windows disc is damaged or dirty. Clean the disc gently and see if it improves. Failing that, I can only suggest format and reinstall again but if the disc is damaged, you may be unable to install this time.

faintly curious 17:00 10 Feb 2003

No, the disc is fine. I've tried it in other systems and they have no problem reading it.

BRYNIT 17:02 10 Feb 2003

Are you saying that you copied Win 98 onto a formatted CD disk or you have formatted your hard drive and re-installed win98

faintly curious 17:04 10 Feb 2003

It's a fresh installation onto a newly formatted hard drive.

Gongoozler 17:06 10 Feb 2003

faintly curious, if you right click on the drive in My Computer and select Properties, this could give a clue as to what your computer thinks the disk is. I don't think there can be anything in your Windows installation that could cause this problem. Could someone have switched disks?

faintly curious 17:33 11 Feb 2003

There is no doubt that the computer thinks the Windows CD is an audio disc, and I can guarantee that the disc has not been switched - it works fine on other systems.

jazzypop 17:47 11 Feb 2003

Start by disabling the auto-play - see click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone