Windows 98 Problems

Seoirse 12:04 11 May 2004

I have a friend who's computer has just recently misbehaved. It keeps restarting at intervals and rebooting. To me this sounds like the Sasser Virus. I asked another relative of mine who knows computers and told him about it and he said it wasn't the Sasser virus as the virus only affects the Windows XP, 2000 systems. I downloaded the Sasser Virus removal tool from another computer as the friend's computer i was trying to fix had no internet. The internet went as well. The computer has got very slow.

expertec 13:52 11 May 2004

Has the friend's computer got any antivirus? If not download AVG from click here and download the latest virus defs file as well, put them on a disc and install them on his computer and do a scan

Stuartli 14:03 11 May 2004

Sasser or Blaster will not affect earlier Windows operating systems.

But expertec's advice is sound.

expertec 14:05 11 May 2004

Even virus writers don;t support older operating systems any more ;-0

Stuartli 14:11 11 May 2004

This may also help:

click here;en-us;148919&Product=w98

You may also need to key in 178548 into the Knowledge Base's ID field for further information.

Stuartli 14:13 11 May 2004

The link again (copy and paste into your browser and then delete the space between the // and "support"

http:// support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;148919&Product=w98

jack 14:37 11 May 2004

In all this assuption that the problem may or may not be a virus, Seorise did say the machine in question has no internet.
Am I right?
If I am - No internet - No virus unless hes has downloaded a passed on disc [ floppy or CD]

This sounds more like a a power supply motherboard problem intermitant power supply

expertec 14:39 11 May 2004

The internet went as well, surely that means there was internet but it has stopped working?

Graham ® 14:40 11 May 2004

I thought you would know how to do this by now! Copy and paste into Notepad, take out the space, and save. When you want to post the link, paste in the response and add the number.

http:// support.microsoft.com/?kbid=

so it becomes click here

Credits to VoG.

Stuartli 14:44 11 May 2004

Too time consuming - I'm on dialup and only from 8am to 8pm without incurring additional charges...:-)

Stuartli 14:44 11 May 2004

That should be 8am to 6pm....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?