Windows 98 Lost Product ID

JLPCORR2 16:58 20 Feb 2007

I need help installing Windows 98. The install has worked ok until the screen asking for the product ID (key) to be entered. Unfortunately the original paperwork for this has been lost.
Is there any way to retrieve this information from the CD?

Gongoozler 17:39 20 Feb 2007

I think you can use any valid product key for Windows 98, so if you know someone who has a valid key for the same version you can try that.

PaulB2005 17:49 20 Feb 2007

Not legal.....

octal 17:54 20 Feb 2007

We can't post cracks to operating systems on here, but just do a search in Google.

Gongoozler 18:56 20 Feb 2007

PaulB2005, not legal? JLPCORR2 has a legitimate copy of Windows 98 and Microsoft no longer give support for it. I doubt that anyone will worry about the finer points of legality concerning use of the wrong product key.

FungusBoggieman 19:17 20 Feb 2007

just been looking I know i had one somewhere I used to have win 98se on cd but lost it but I still have the product key would that work as I dont have win 98se installed on any pc anywhere and the product key is not being used if you want to give the key a try I will eail it to you if that is allowed in this forum can you tell me so.

PaulB2005 21:01 20 Feb 2007

Still not legal. MS haven't given the go ahead for Keys to be transfered / swapped or made publicly available.

PaulB2005 22:02 20 Feb 2007

Ignore me. Not so sure anymore. Keep getting conflicting information from people....

phono 22:08 20 Feb 2007

I would have thought that as long as FungusBoggieman no longer has Win 98se installed he could pass the key to someone else.

Just my own thoughts and I may well be totally wrong.

Taff™ 22:15 20 Feb 2007

You are quite correct. It is illegal - according to Microsoft - and why should they support it? You can work on Illegal copies for ever but eventually it will catch up with you.

FungusBoggiemann - Don`t even bother to to post it or e-mail it. Totally illegal and against all forum rules.

lotvic 22:30 20 Feb 2007

I can't see anything illegal in FungusBoggiemann's offer.
It is okay to sell/give away a product and/or key you don't use anymore but it is against forum rules to put the key on here for all to see.

Even for XP versions you can use any CD to install it is just the key that can only be used once.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?