windows 98 - invalid system disc? drive is empty!

  sam2004 23:57 21 Jul 2006

hi, i'm trying to get a computer to bood which is running windows 98. however, i dont even get to the point where i can load windows 98 because it complains of having a invalid system disc. i have removed everything from the drives and still the problem continues. i have even replaced the floppy drive with another, known working, one and i cant get it to load!

can anyone help?

  phil46 01:23 22 Jul 2006

Sounds like your W98 floppy is corrupt.

  lotvic 02:59 22 Jul 2006

"invalid system disc" could be referring to the hard drive if you have no floppy disk in.

Have a look in the bios and set it to boot from your floppy drive first.

then put your W98 boot floppy disk in and try again.

If that doesn't work then I agree with phil46 and you will have to set the bios to boot from CD drive first

Don't forget to put the W98 CD in before you restart after changing bios.

  DieSse 11:00 22 Jul 2006

You say two different things here.

First the computer is running Win98 but won't BOOT - this will be because the hard drive is corrupted (or faulty).

Second you can't get to the point where you can LOAD Win98 - presumably to try and solve the failure to boot?

To reLOAD Win98, set your BIOS to boot from the floppy drive first, then start up the system using az Win98 start-up diskette. This will enable you to reload Win98 on the system.

You may have to check out that the hard drive is not faulty first - you can do this with software from the hard drive manufacturer - which is who?

Beware that some sections of drive diagnostic software will remove all the data from the drive - do you have anything on it you want to try and recover?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?