Windows 98 with floppy's

shortcircuit 14:25 06 Feb 2005

Hi.
#Is it possible to load Win98 by floppy disk.
I have been given a IBM thinkpad and it has a corrupt 95 on it but it only has a floppy drive. I want to put a clean 98 installation on it but don't know how since it don't have a CD rom drive.

Thanks

Graham ® 14:42 06 Feb 2005

Only Windows 95 on floppy, look on Ebay.

flecc 14:54 06 Feb 2005

In short, virtually impossible since some of the compressed cab files that form parts of the installation material are over floppy size, so even transferring the content to the hard drive to install from there is not viable.

However, you could transfer the 98 CD installation content to the hard drive by using DCC (direct cable connection) or the network connection if the operating system is running at all and run the setup from there.

Another way would be to use a linux issue either installed or run from CD to get the 98 content imported, though you'd need to check what linux has for transferring in that way, there's probably a method but I don't personally know it.

Alternatively, take the hard drive out and attach it to the second connector of your main computer using a 2.5 IDE adaptor (Maplins and others) and transfer the 98 CD content that way. Refit the laptop hard drive and then run setup.

keith-236785 15:23 06 Feb 2005

1. shortcircuit already said he/she has no cdrom drive so the linux cd approach is a no-no.

2. if you are going to copy the win98 cd files to the laptop hard drive, you would need to fdisk the drive and set up a seperate partition for the setup files to be held. this would allow you to format the c drive in the future and re-install without going through all the transfering again. i had a 2.1 gig laptop drive split into 1.3gig C: and 800mb D: win98 files were copied to drive d and then the setup was run from drive D:. also makes it easier when installing other devices as the windows files are all readily available.

a pcmcia cdrom would enable you to copy the cd files to the hard drive though it isnt easy if you havent got windows running.

shortcircuit 17:48 06 Feb 2005

Thanks all.Think I might look for a cd ron drive on Ebay for it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?