Windows 95......Oops..

Squirrel1 21:51 12 Jun 2007

I have aquired a MMX Pentium Toshiba laptop, not sure of full specs, but, while experimenting with USB drivers I have managed to kill it. Well not quite.
I can boot from floppy and access files on the HDD and boot to the DOS Prompt and access files on the HDD. But Windows will not boot and comes up with the message that file 'VMM32.VXD' is damaged or missing. Please insert set-up disc etc...
I have a Win 95 CD-Rom and set the boot sequence to CD-ROM, FDD, HDD, but it will not boot from CD-ROM.
I havn't had to install Win 95 and I am more used to XP, but need to get this laptop going without loss of applications because some equipment I work with only uses Win 95. Oh Dear Silly Boy ETC...

What do I do... Any Suggestions???
Please...

Stuartli 22:25 12 Jun 2007
  woodchip 00:01 13 Jun 2007

This is how you do it, Download the tenth file from top click here

Yes it a Win98se floppy but it as more CD driver support than the others. Put a floppy in the drive then double click on the Downloaded file, it will create a 98se boot disc Set you BIOS with Floppy as number one boot device, CD, Then Hard Drive. Boot with the Floppy disc, and the Win95 CD in the comp. Choose boot with CD rom support at the prompt let it load back to A:\> the change to E:\ Not D as the CD drive letter changes to load windows Then at E:\ type SETUP and press enter after Scandisk Press X it will then start setup and reload 95 over it's self

Squirrel1 20:34 13 Jun 2007

Thank you stuartli and woodchip for your suggestions.
Let Battle commence...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?