windows 95 on floppy - missing files

BIG ben strikes 10 14:43 14 Jul 2004

hello everyone.i have bought brand new/sealed. windows 95 on floppy.i started windows 95 from dos using each disk.odd thing was everynow and again it would say.missing file.eg.Iexplore.sys. or calc.exe.missing.also i think i over writed a floppy becouse i tryed making a boot disk at setup and it formatted the disk.luckily that disk had its data copyed on the harddisk.setup finally completed but when it booted up it says HIEM file missing.(i regognised this file from when 3.11 was installed it was used to check memory but then there is a memory test before a missing file was reported.).i cannot boot into windows 95.can i contact microsoft and they will give me a new set?.or was this a waste of £14.00?.can i use my desktop sys. files to restore it?.thanks.ben

€dstowe 14:50 14 Jul 2004

This is also posted in Speakers Corner but, I ask again, why are you wanting to use an system almost ten years out of date?

BIG ben strikes 10 14:59 14 Jul 2004

yeah i got the wrong forum i forgot to change to help room forum. if you had a old laptop say that had a 333mhz processor you probly understand resorting to such a old system.is better than windows 3.11

Terry Brown 15:48 14 Jul 2004

I was under the impression that windows 95 come on a CD rom, or multiple floppies. I suggest you go to a site like EBAY and see if any one has a WindowsCD you could obtain --Whle you are at it, why noy upgrade to win 98. It is a much better system.

BIG ben strikes 10 16:24 14 Jul 2004

dosn't have a cd rom drive.if i had the choice between floppies and cd rom.any one would choose a cd much safer and cheaper.also i have stated it is only a 333mhz cruddy laptop.thanks.ben.my question is where can i find all the cab files needed?.thanks

ventanas 17:10 14 Jul 2004

I think you will be wasting your time. Each Win95 cab file was 1.7mb in size and the floppies where specially formatted to take this. If you were able to get hold of the required cab file there is no way you could get it onto a floppy. There were utilities that would format floppies this way about ten years ago, but they will be long gone now.

BIG ben strikes 10 18:50 14 Jul 2004

they wern't write protected.can i contact microsoft if so how?

€dstowe 19:00 14 Jul 2004

I think MS gave up all support for W95 some time ago so I doubt if they would give you any joy.

The best way to contact MS is via their website and send an email but I wouldn't hold out too much hope.

BIG ben strikes 10 19:19 14 Jul 2004

yes i have tried contacting MS but the id for my windows 95 copy is invalid.looks like windows 95 is broken and its tooken my laptop down with it.thanks for all your help guys......is there any one with windows 95 that can search up HIEM.SYS?.becouse that is all that is stopping.
thanks very much.if there is could you e-mail a attachment with that sys.file to [email protected] . thanks alot.ben

Dorsai 19:30 14 Jul 2004

Don't you mean HIMEM.SYS not HIEM.SYS????

I do remember that HIMEM.SYS was a critical part of 95's memory management stuff.

BIG ben strikes 10 19:33 14 Jul 2004

yes thats it.do you have it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires