Windows 8.1 THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER issue and wont sleep

spras 15:25 16 Jan 2014

Since 'upgrading' (possibly the worst Windows update ever) to Windows 8.1 my new laptop has developed some problems.

It repeatedly gets an issue on startup saying THREADSTUCKINDEVICEDRIVER

It won't sleep properly. It seems to go in to sleep mode, but can't get out of it and reboots. Often this is when it gets the THREADSUCKINDEVICEDRIVER problem.

I believe both of these are related to the AMD Radeon HD 7730M drivers, but as far as I can tell I have the latest version

It also periodically loses internet access

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:50 16 Jan 2014

Is it a DEll?

Intel wireless issues can cause all your symptoms, an update here usually shows a yellow exclamation in device manager for the USB-IF xHCI USB Host Controller Intel WiUSB

spras 14:26 18 Jan 2014

Yes it's a Dell. Gave that a go but it says "No updates required. Please update the Graphics driver from your manufacturers support site and enable Windows Update to automatically receive the latest WiDi updates."

Regarding yellow exclamation marks, in device manager under Other Devices there is an "Unknown Device" with one of these exclamation marks next to it. No idea if it was there prior to Windows 8.1 update. Any ideas what this might be? Attempting to update driver software on this achieves nothing, it says it can't install my Unknown Device.

spras 15:20 18 Jan 2014

I should add that the Windows action centre asks me to 'Solve a problem with ATI Graphics Driver' (it provides no useful information to this end beyond what I would already try). I just downloaded the drivers from the Dell Website and on installing them the installer says everything is already installed. Reinstalling does not help.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:08 18 Jan 2014

Use something like Belarc Advisor to find out exactly what hardware etc. is installed and then download the drivers for whatever the unknown device turns out to be.

rdave13 20:39 18 Jan 2014

As well as Fruit Bat /\0/\ 's suggestion I would even think of rolling back your AMD drivers via device manager. Wait for a newer driver than the one you've got, to be published by AMD. Sometimes up to date drivers, especially GPU ones, can create problems on different systems. You will need to stop Windows Update updating your GPU if it works.

spras 12:27 19 Jan 2014

The unknown device has turned out to be a rather innocuous DFX audio plugin. I've removed it, but unsurprisingly it hasn't solved my issues.

Device manager doesn't allow me to roll back the drivers - the laptop is reasonably new so I suspect the current drivers are the only ones it has ever known. I'm wary of attempting to do this manually (if that is even possible) in case I make something worse.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?