windows 8.1 defender enough security?

Damarc 19:30 29 Jul 2014

I took my laptop to local computer shop as it wasn't booting up. It turned out that I had lots of viruses on it. A few years ago I asked for suitable anti virus and antispyware freebie software. The general consensus was AVG or Avast with superantispyware and spyware blaster. I opted for avast and both antispyware downloads. The blokes at the computer shop said that these were not now the best solution and that if I wanted a freebie, then Windows 8.1 defender was better than them. So they were not reinstalled nor was the antivirus software. Over the past week I have had the same pop up coming up in Firefox [Ribena] every few minutes and it's driving me potty. Were the blokes right at the computer shop? They have always been good in the past and I must admit I have downloaded networx through Cnet since the laptop was returned but I wouldn't have thought that would have started it off. I've never had pop ups on this scale on Firefox before and popups have been stopped under 'tools'.

Woolwell 19:45 29 Jul 2014

I'm not sure that I would trust that shop. Av-Test puts Defender quite low and Techradar makes AVG a better free package. I suspect that Avast is better too.

Downloading anything from Cnet is risky nowadays and is a site best avoided. Unless you untick every box then you can get malware and other problems. I suspect that you have more viruses and malware. Suggest you download malwarebytes free from Malwarebytes and run it in safe mode.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:02 29 Jul 2014

Were the blokes right at the computer shop?

No

Avast / Avg is antivirus, Defender is only antimalware

Avast is the best of the freebies Antivira is also good

Are you saying you got viruses with avast and both antispyware downloads?

Menzie 20:03 29 Jul 2014

Windows Defender is tricky as opinions differ on it greatly. Some say that 'it's good enough,' others will say 'it is better than nothing.' Then of course you will have those that will say 'it is no good.'

At the moment on my system I use Avast Internet Security. I previously had been using Avast free for years and decided to check out the paid version. Prior to that I also used Comodo Firewall with the antivirus which always seemed to offer good solid protection.

I also currently run Malwarebytes Pro and recommend the free version even though the free one lacks real time protection.

There are some things the best programs in the world won't help with however and is down to the user. Here are some things you can do to help minimise your chance of unwanted software/pop ups.

Create an administrator account strictly for installing programs and set your normal account to limited. This helps prevent any unwanted programs automatically getting high level access.

When installing software don't always go for the default installation as this almost always brings along other unwanted software. Free downloads are notorious for this very practise. Use custom instead and uncheck or reject any offers that you don't want that would have been included in the default install.

When your computer is working normally regularly back it up. I clone my hard drive monthly; in case anything happens I can have my PC back up and running with applications and all in 15 minutes.

Woolwell 20:18 29 Jul 2014

Fruitbat - Defender in W8 is anti-virus too. In other versions of Windows it is anti-malware only.

Woolwell 20:19 29 Jul 2014

Just assumed it is Windows 8.1. It may not be what is the OS?

Damarc 10:40 30 Jul 2014

It is windows 8.1. They updated it when it was in the shop. I never know what security software to use. I thought that with all paid for security software, some parts were better than others, ie. you got a good firewall but antivirus wasn't so good or you got a good antivirus but antispyware wasn't so good. They advised Norton but I'd read that this wasn't brilliant so I thought it would be a good idea to pick and mix the best of individual freebies, hence AVG, Superantispyware and Spywareblaster and to date they've worked well. It was only when I downloaded Quick time that there was a problem. Is there a good 'broker' site from which you can download with safety. I ran a scan last night with Defender and it came up with no problems! But funnily enough whilst typing this I haven't had a pop up window. Would Malwarebytes conflict with any of the Defender stuff if all are running? Thanks for all your help so far.

Woolwell 11:24 30 Jul 2014

Quicktime is an Apple product. You should only download it from Apple. IMO there are no good broker sites. It is better to go to the manufacturer's site.

Norton is fine but you have to pay for it. Read the reviews especially AV-Test (earlier link) and you will find that there are some good suites for protection out there. Personally I prefer to pay on my main computer. I have Norton as I found Kaspersky slowed my laptop down. I am very careful on what I click on and what email I open. I haven't had a problem at all. Malwarebytes Free being anti-malware should not conflict.

Damarc 18:50 02 Aug 2014

Thanks for all your help. I have now also installed Malwarebytes having read the reviews so touch wood I hope all is ok now.

Woolwell 19:58 02 Aug 2014

What anti-virus are you now running?

Damarc 16:08 10 Aug 2014

Sorry for the late response I thought his thread was finished. I'm relying on Defender.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?