Windows 8.1 Black Screen/Screen Jumping

FooFighter616 08:58 13 Mar 2014

Hi

I built a myself my first ever pc and all was running fine on Windows 8.1. Yesterday I was playing Thief at full settings for everything and after about 25 minutes the screen froze, the picture distorted and the computer made, like a buzz sound, constantly. I did a hard reset and when I booted back up it loaded the windows logo, did a few little turns of the white circle underneath and then the screen went black (as if it was off) and then back lit but still black. I was able to get to Safe Mode and tried restarting the PC and restoring the pc to a previous version but that didn't work. I reinstalled Windows completely and it all seemed to work fine until I started trying to up date the motherboard drivers and the screen went black again (not sure if related to the drivers or just coincided with the length of time the pc had been on). It did this twice. I removed the graphics card and put it back in case it had been seated incorrectly and now the pc boots but after a minute or so the screen starts to wig out and has black lines shooting across, like static, and eventually sticks at a full screen of colour (yellow as that is the desktop background).

What can I do? Is the graphics card broken? Please help!

Spec: Powercool Modular 550W 80+ Dual 12V V2.2 High Efficiency PSU (PSU) 8GB Corsair DDR3 2x 4GB (RAM) Pioneer BDC-207DBK (Blu ray/CD drive) 2TB Toshiba HDD (HDD) Samsung 840 Series Pro 128GB 2.5 inch SATA Solid State Drive (SSD) Intel core i5 4440 quad core (Processor) 4GB MSI Radeon R9 270X 5600MHz (Graphics Card) Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H (motherboard)

rdave13 12:51 13 Mar 2014

Can you connect the monitor to the 'onboard' GPU connection? This should disable the dedicated card. See if it runs ok.

FooFighter616 09:30 14 Mar 2014

In response to rdave13: I connected up that initially (by mistake) and there was no input at all, then connected to the one on the graphics card and there was.

Update: My IT friend came over and had a look. We managed to get it booted somehow, and he updated some driver and all seemed to work fine. I left it on overnight to download Titanfall and when I checked on it this morning I had the black screen problem. Hoping it had just been on too long I did a restart but no, I still have the black screen issue, though this time I don't even see the windows logo. Again I can boot into safe mode.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone