Windows 8 problems with downloading

davecooper 08:23 08 Jan 2015

I have been struggling to download apps and updates into my Windows 8.1 PC. I had problems downloading apps for a Satnav and a Garmin cycle computer. I eventually managed to load these by disabling the User LUA flag in the registry. However, iTunes will not download, whatever I do. When I click on Download, nothing happens, nothing asking me if I want to Run or Save the installer. I also noticed that some installed programs such as Firefox do not seem to be able to download updates.

Although hese issues are not causing me any major problems at the moment, I am sure that the inability to download anything is going to give me grief before too long. I have Norton Internet Security loaded and I have set my Pop Up blocker to Medium. Any advice welcome.

davecooper 09:39 08 Jan 2015

I've tried both Internet Explorer and Firefox. Is there another worth trying?

rdave13 17:04 08 Jan 2015

Check if it's Norton's firewall doing this. Find a safe download and disable the firewall temporarily just to see if the download starts. If it starts you can cancel it at any time. If that's the case you'll need to check the firewall's settings.

davecooper 08:27 09 Jan 2015

Thanks. I'll give that a try.

davecooper 18:56 09 Jan 2015

Strangely, the iTunes installer (exe) file can be downloaded and saved without a problem from other sites other than the official apple site. However, these are detected as a threat by Norton and deleted from the download folder. So it seems like it is only the official site that I cannot download from!

rdave13 19:31 09 Jan 2015

These are just my thoughts so up to you to try or not. Make a note of your Norton's licence as that will be important to reinstall. It might be that Norton software has a glitch.

Removal tool.

Run the tool and reboot. Windows firewall and Defender will take over as you're on Win 8, so let the OS settle for a few minutes. Try the official iTunes download again and install. If ok then you'll know it was Norton.

Re-install Norton as the fresh install might have fixed whatever problems it had.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?