windows 8 back to windows7

ant504 21:42 22 Feb 2014

Hi, sorry but this is a bit involved. My laptop is an HP Pavillion dv6 which was running windows 7 from new. When windows 8 came along I upgraded. There were a few problems from the word go such as the finger print reader wasn't supported along with the graphics card, which in turn led to overheating during prolonged use (I think).

Anyway, the crux of the matter is that yesterday I used a driver updater which had identified new drivers for the graphics card. Big mistake. Black screen as soon as windows finished loading. Despite the driver installer claiming to have made a restore point, system restore stated no restore points had been made.

I tried everything to load into safe mode with no success so as a last resort I created a backup of my files, using windows, on an external hard drive before restoring my lap top to as new. That is windows 7.

Now, windows 7 doesn't see my back up, saved as wim files. I've found I can open them idividually using Bandzip but this is going to be very time consuming plus I'm not sure I'll recover my emails this way.

Does anyone know if this is because the backup was created with windows 8 and I'm trying to restore it in windows 7? I'm not averse to going back to windows 8 but not desperate to.

ant504 09:36 23 Feb 2014

Hi MechKB,

Thanks for the reply and yes, why on earth did I use the driver updater! Looking at Power ISO seems to be much the same as Bandzip and I've already searched google and cannot find an answer as to why windows 7 isn't recognising a backup created with windows 8.

The backup was an option from the windows repair screen, accessed through HP's recovery option.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?