Windows 7...Firewall settings problems

Allan RISC OS user 17:38 05 Dec 2009

I am trying to set up my LAN between my RISC PC (Acorn) and my AMD PC Windows 7 (32bit). I set this up originally on Windows XP SP3 and all worked well, but have now updated to Windows 7 on the same computer (not dual booted).
I need to be able to open the" Internet Connection Firewall Configuration Panel" where a number of services should be listed. I need to add New Services to the Windows 7 Firewall. I should be able to click ADD and a blank SERVICE SETTINGS window should open. This requires four parameters to be added to the" Discription of Service" box... namely "netbios-ns" and in the "Name or IP address of Computer Hosting this Service" box enter the IP address of the RISCOS machine .
In the "External Port Number for this Service Box" enter 137 and ensure the UDP is ticked.
In the "Internal Port Number for this Service Box" enter 137.
Then click add and repeat the above but with netbios-ssn, same IP address and port numbers of 139 with TCP ticked and Internal Port number of 139.
My problem is I cannot find anything like this in Windows 7 where I can enter the above parameters. Without setting these perameters LANMAN97 cannot connect via the LAN to the Windows PC.

mgmcc 21:34 05 Dec 2009

If you cannot connect to Windows 7 with its Firewall enabled, have you considered using a third-party firewall that can be configured the way you require?

I can connect over the LAN to Win 7 from Mac OS X, using the default firewall settings, but I don't know if that is significant as regards a RISC OS computer.

Allan RISC OS user 22:11 05 Dec 2009

Thanks for the reply,
I can ping the PC from my RiscPC and the network with the Virtual Risc PC on the Windows 7 PC is working fine, but LanMan97 which should enable me to see and use/change files stored on the Windows Pc is not able to funtcion.

I think it is the settings on the firewall, but I have checked and the Windows Firewall is off.

Perhaps LanMan97 needs updating, I will have to check with the programme writer/vendor. I can live without it but would like it to work. Have youo any idea how to get to the Service Settings I mentioned above. Every thing was working well with XP!!!!!!!

Allan RISC OS user 22:13 05 Dec 2009

Correction the programme is LanMan98 not 97.

Allan RISC OS user 12:20 06 Dec 2009

I am closing this thread, and opening a new one which I hope will show my problem more clearly.

Allan RISC OS user 12:21 06 Dec 2009

I am closing this thread, and opening a new one which I hope will show my problem more clearly.

Allan RISC OS user 12:31 06 Dec 2009

The following instructions are for Windows XP, and worked well for me, but I have now upgraded to Windows 7 and I am unable to find the sections mentioned, so I am unable to run LanMan98 over my LAN, can anyone out there advise me how/where I can find them in the new OS.

........now go back to the original Local Area Connection Properties window. Click on the Advanced tag at the top of the window. This opens the Internet Connection Firewall configuration panel.
For maximum security you should have the firewall enabled, make sure the Protect my computer... option is ticked. Then click on the Settings button at the bottom of the window. This will open the firewall settings window.
A complicated list of Services should be listed, and if this is a new WindowsXP installation, they will probably all be unticked (off). Everything will be disabled and LanMan won't be able to connect to the PC. To rectify this we need to add a couple of new services to the WindowsXP firewall.
Click Add and a blank Service Settings window will open. This requires four parameters to be added. In the Description of service box, enter netbios-ns
In the Name or IP address of computer hosting this service box, enter the IP address of your RISC OS machine which will be running LanMan98.
In the External Port number for this service box, enter 137 and ensure the UDP button is ticked.
In the Internal Port number for this service box, enter 137
Click 'OK' to create this new service. You now need to repeat the process for the other service required for LanMan98 to function correctly.
Click 'Add' and a blank 'Service Settings' window will open again. In the Description of service box, enter netbios-ssn
In the Name or IP address of computer hosting this service box, enter the IP address of your RISC OS machine which will be runningLanMan98.
In the External Port number for this service box, enter 139 and ensure the TCP button is ticked.
In the Internal Port number for this service box, enter 139
Click 'OK' to create this new service. This should now have created the two services you require for LanMan98 to function correctly.

I can ping the Acorn RiscPC and it can ping back, the Network connection between my real Acorn RiscPc and my Virtual RiscPC on the Windows 7 PC are fine as before, but LanMan98 is note able to connect/access shared files on the Windows PC as the above have not been set. I know that the Windows PC will never be able to see The Real RiscPC. I think the share system is far more complicatedin 7 and XP which was straight forward and you could see when a file was shared by the hand icon, or have I missed something, I have only had 7 for 2 days.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?