Windows 7 won't support 5.1 speaker system

Keyhole 13:56 10 Oct 2010

I have recently upgraded my PC to Windows 7 Professional from XP Professional, but audio files and CDs will no longer play through all 6 speakers, just the sub-woofer and the front pair. They all test OK individaully. Is their a fix for this problem?
Thanks

AndySD 14:09 10 Oct 2010

Have you tried using a different media player like winamp?

Keyhole 14:17 10 Oct 2010

I tried Real Player, and a Creative player, but still only the sub and front 2 speakers.

that needs adjusting. Which one do you use?

Keyhole 15:50 10 Oct 2010

It's a Sound Blaster Audigy Card.
Thanks

gardener 16:32 10 Oct 2010

I have a Creative X Fi card so this may not apply, but there should be a creative folder in the program files. If you expand this folder there should be a link to Audio Control Panel or something similar to this. If you open it there should be a 'Speaker' option and from there you should be able to select 5.1 speakers from the drop down list.

Keyhole 16:54 10 Oct 2010

There is a drop-down menu under "Sound Blaster Audigy", one of which is speaker settings, but nothing happens when I click on it.

gardener 17:44 10 Oct 2010

Maybe downloading the most up-to-date drivers would help.

click here#

The feature you need to enable is called CMSS-3D, and this must be set to Stereo Surround.

Not sure why you can't open 'speaker settings' though. You could try looking in the control panel and see if Creative has added its own entry there, failing that then reinstall it using the link that gardener has provided.

kristain 06:27 11 Oct 2010

uninstall the audio drivers & intall the updated from official website of your make & model.

Keyhole 09:09 11 Oct 2010

Thanks [email protected] I'll try re-installing. When I click on Speaker Settings in the drop-down Sound Blaster Audigy menu, a message comes up saying "the audio device supported by this application is not detected. The application will close".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone