Windows 7 vs Windows 8 should I upgrade or not?

RISC OS user 22:15 30 Sep 2013
Answered

My laptop an HP Pavilion dv6 is running windows 7 64 bit, I believe it to be slow,(always has been) it has an AMD processor A6 -3410MX with Radeon HD Graphics Vision, Display Adapters AMD Radeon HD 6490M and AMD Radeon HD 6520G; 6MB of RAM and loads of free space on the Hard Drive. Would I get a better performance if I were to install Windows 8.

I believe the AMD Processor is 4 core? I was assured, when I bought the Laptop, that it would be as fast as an i5!

woodchip 23:21 30 Sep 2013

It may be lots of program loading at boot

woodchip 23:23 30 Sep 2013

PS its not so mush what you have got in it, but windows use resources when you run out or they get low it stops or slows down

woodchip 23:25 30 Sep 2013

PS that one of the benefits of running g Linux its made to run faster and use less of the above

woodchip 23:29 30 Sep 2013

Sorry to keep on but you could buy a new Hard Drive and swap them over then try Linux on the New Drive. the old drive is still there to put back

RISC OS user 10:30 01 Oct 2013

Thanks for the replies, not sure what you mean by " whether you could cope with W/8 is a different thing" is it all that different.

Woolwell 10:42 01 Oct 2013

"is it all that different" - Yes. But there are ways around it and you can get used to it. Wait for 8.1 if you do decide to change. I'm not sure how much you would gain.

Secret-Squirrel 11:45 01 Oct 2013

" I believe it to be slow,(always has been)...........Would I get a better performance if I were to install Windows 8."

If you upgrade a computer with problems then there's always the risk that the new OS will have the same problems too.

A clean install is one option for you, and with your laptop's relatively high specification, Windows 8 should be fast and responsive. However, you need to make sure in advance that Windows 8 device drivers are available for your particular model. You've said it's a DV6 but you'd need to know the full model number. Have a look at the sticker underneath the laptop - it'll be something like dv6-6104ea. Let me know what you find.

RISC OS user 16:01 01 Oct 2013

Product name: HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC Product number: A1Q55EA#ABU

I am only able to get this info for the moment, will have to switch off and take out battery to see if more info under there!

RISC OS user 16:13 01 Oct 2013

The information in the battery compartment is Pavilion dv6 - 6b08sa, hope this helps you to help me, thanks

Secret-Squirrel 19:07 01 Oct 2013
Answer

"Pavilion dv6 - 6b08sa"

The good news is that HP do provide Windows 8 device drivers for your particular model - here's the relevant page.

You've been given lots of options here so have a think. If you do decide to do a clean install then it's best suited to someone moderately experienced. Be prepared for it to take at least a whole day as you'll need to backup all your personal data, install Windows, all your favourite programs, hardware and drivers, and import your data. It's a big job.

Just in case things don't work out, it's a good idea to create a disk image so you can put things back to exactly how they were quickly.

One other option is to troubleshoot your Windows 7 performance issues. Start a new thread if you'd like to proceed with this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)