Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor not working

julius44 08:45 01 Sep 2010

Hello there and good morning I have Windows Xp machine purchased in Jan 2006. Its a Dell Dimension Pentium 4, 3.00GHz, 2.99GHz, 2Gb Ram. Service pack 3.
I just wanted to see what upgrades would be needed for me to get windows 7 on my country pc. So i downloaded the windows 7 upgrade advisor, and it installed perfectly...with no probs, then it started to scan, and it said it'll take a few mins.....it was scanning for about 3 hours!!! i did it 3 times yesterday, and i left it overnight, STILL same thing it just said it was still scanning.....in the end again ive cancelled it. Any suggestions please??? No error message comes up whatsover. I dont believe the scan can take so long.

birdface 09:24 01 Sep 2010

Is this the one you used.

click here

If so not sure what the problem could be.
maybe your security stopping it from running.

julius44 09:45 01 Sep 2010

Yeb exact one. I use kaspersky internet security 2010, it has NEVER blocked anything before, and even if didn't like what i was downloading it will ALWAYS notify me first....but as the upgrade advisor is a legal/normal download it wouldn't be a problem. Also if it was gonna block it then it would'nt even let me download it in the first place.

Any other suggestions please??

birdface 11:28 01 Sep 2010

Not got script switched off or Flash maybe.
Maybe there is a more up to date version.

birdface 11:50 01 Sep 2010

This one for the Uk but not sure if it makes any difference.
There were conflicts with Kaspersky and W/7 upgrade advice but that was last year and I would presume it would be fixed by now,
Mind you that was for some 64 bit versions.

click here

Maybe worth giving it a try and remove the other one first.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?