Windows 7 Update seems to have set Asus laptop back to factory settings

KNessJM 01:13 14 Feb 2015

I'm trying to figure out what the heck happened to my Mom's laptop. She says it notified her of a Windows update, she let it update and shut down, then when she booted it back up, it looks like it's fresh out of the box. I've been tinkering with it for the last hour, have tried a number of the solutions that I found online, and am at a loss for how to fix this. Here's what I've found:

-All documents, pictures, programs that she's installed, etc. can't be found in Windows Explorer.

-My first thought was to do a System Restore, but there's no available restore points beyond this morning (when the problem started).

-Windows temp files from before this morning are present, so that gives me hope that all her files are still on the HD.

-Restarting the computer, as well as creating a new Profile (with Admin status) changes nothing.

-I downloaded and am currently running Recuva (It'll take about an hour to complete its deep scan) to see if I can restore her files, but I'd like to see if I can restore the whole system, rather than having to pick files one by one to restore.

She says she's going to take it in to Geek Squad tomorrow if I can't fix it, and I'd like to save her the time and trouble, so any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

robin_x 02:13 14 Feb 2015

"Unhide" might be a possibility.

click here

Not sure Geek Squad will do much more than you are doing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?