Windows 7 Ultimate boot-up woes

tobyjug2007 11:31 07 Oct 2010

Hi people,
I am running windows 7 ultimate,32 bit, AMD Athlon dual core processor, with 4GB of DDR 2 RAM
Just recently when i reboot my pc it stopps when it gets to the page where you can access your bious settings, any ideas would be welcomed, my own thought was maybe its the cmos motherboard 3volt battery that is on its way out, any ideas would be extremely welcomed as its most annoying.
Kind Regards

james105051 19:48 07 Oct 2010

You could certainly replace the battery for a couple of quid, but I doubt it's that what's causing the problem. If you can enter the BIOS try re-setting to "Default Settings", not forgetting to "F10" out to save the settings, and rebooting.

Failing that if you have the Windows disk, try booting from that and do a repair install.

james105051 19:50 07 Oct 2010

Here's how....

click here

birdface 20:36 07 Oct 2010

See if it will start in safe mode then click on last good configuration or a system restore.
Safe Mode just keep tapping F8 as the computer starts.
Then use your up down buttons on the keyboard to get to where you are looking for.

sunnystaines 05:32 08 Oct 2010

could too much ram be a problem? you have 4gb plus what ever is on the graphics card will put you over the limit for 32 bit o/s

ardubbleyu 08:17 08 Oct 2010

It would still boot even with that amount of RAM. But it could be memory related - try taking one stick out and booting with that. If it still dosn't work, try the other. At least it will eliminate that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone