Windows 7 System Restore - Automatic Points?

compumac 11:49 17 Nov 2010

I only moved onto Windows 7 a few weeks ago and have created Acronis Images at every juncture. Yesterday I thought to start using System Restore before installing some older programmes and was surprised to find that a dialogue box came up stating that no Restore Points had been made. Does Win 7 not create them automatically?

GaT7 12:08 17 Nov 2010

First check that System Restore (SR) is enabled. For a guide click here.

See how it goes for a day or two. If it's still not working, then some of the remedies in the MS thread may help click here. G

GaT7 12:15 17 Nov 2010

Do you have a dual-booting system with XP & Win7 by any chance? If yes, XP may be deleting restore points in Win7. For a possible fix click here or click here (latter mentions Vista, but will also work with Win7). G

compumac 12:23 17 Nov 2010

Crossbow7
Yes, System Restore is enabled for 'C' and disabled for all other drives/partitions. It was one of the first things that I did when acquiring Win 7 to ensure that only 'C' was enabled and nothing else. I do not have dual-booting. I assumed at the outset that Win 7 would create Restore Points as XP did.

GaT7 13:16 17 Nov 2010

When you create a Restore Point (RP) & reboot, is the RP still present when you open SR to restore to it?

click here if you need to know how to create a RP. G

compumac 13:34 17 Nov 2010

Crossbow7
Created the first Restore Point yesterday and today installed another programme but did not manually create a restore point before that installation. Going into System Restore NOW - yesterdays Restore Point is displayed as well as a restore point for todays installation (which I did not create). It is as if System Restore only came into being yesterday.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?