Windows 7 supplied Firewall - any good?

Brirev 15:14 14 Jan 2010

Hi there.

I was wondering what is the general consensus on the Firewall suppled with Windows 7?

If not good, which is the best one to go for?
(When I had Windows XP I used ZoneAlarm)

Thanks

GaT7 15:18 14 Jan 2010

I've been using WinXP's own (which is one way only) for the last 5-6 years without any problems. My computer hasn't been hacked into or anything - it'll be of no benefit to anyone anyway. G

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:23 14 Jan 2010

It is more than adequate. Providing you have a current AV (free one, don't pay) there is no point in spending money on another firewall especially if you have a router. The chances of a home computer getting hacked are the same as mine in winning the EuroLotto 3 weeks in succession.

There is a lot of hype and rubbish written about hacking home computers which spooks many users.

G

john bunyan 15:27 14 Jan 2010

I used Comodo (free) on XP, found it good but a bit intrusive. Following favourable comments on the forums I now use (free) PC Tools on W7. Seems OK.
Others are happy to use the built in one but I am not sure if it is so good at outgoing stuff.

rawprawn 15:44 14 Jan 2010

Why not use this from Microsoft, many on this forum give it the thumbs up
click here

rawprawn 15:46 14 Jan 2010

Sorry meant to say "Together with Windows 7 own Firewall"

john bunyan 16:22 14 Jan 2010

I thought this is a Anti virus/ Malware tool, not a firewall.

rdave13 16:33 14 Jan 2010

Try win7 firewall control (fee version) with the firewall. Gives control over your applications.
click here

john bunyan 16:47 14 Jan 2010

Also read this:
click here

dms_05 16:49 14 Jan 2010

I've used Windows 7 Firewall and Microsoft's Security Essentials without any problem and I can recommend both. Initially I checked with other products to make sure nothing was slipping through the MS products and after a few months all was clear.

john bunyan 16:49 14 Jan 2010

And moer here:click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

5 best 3D model websites

iPhone 8 vs iPhone X

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache