Windows 7 and SSD Programs

piejonny 16:33 15 Aug 2012

Hey everyone,

I've recently upgraded to a SSD - Its a clean install of Win7 Home Prem.

I have a 128Gb drive and my old 750Gb is to be used as a Data/Program drive, but i've encountered a serious problem.

After I install for example, Starcraft 2 - and play the game for 2 hours, I turn my pc off. When I turn it back on, all reference to the program has vanished from my desktop (short cuts etc) but the programs remain on my D drive. will not run and need to be re-installed.

Any ideas?

KRONOS the First 16:45 15 Aug 2012

Not really sure what you are meaning but I have a similar set-up. I too have a 128GB SSD on that is my operating system and programs. I have 1 x 1TB hard-drive which is just for Steam and other games and 1 x 1TB hard-drive for music,videos etc.

After installing Windows 7 and installing all the update the first thing I did was move all the MY folders to my storage hard-drive (D): instructions. Doing this means that you do not clutter up your SSD.

If I am installing a game which is not a Steam game I create a folder on the games hard-drive (F) and install the game to it. I will still get an icon on the desktop with which to play the game.

If you could explain a little more of what your problem is as you are a little vague.

piejonny 17:10 15 Aug 2012

I'll try and elaborate.

It's a fresh install of Win7 64-bit as you know already.

All my data is safe, and backed up.

Drive C: (the SSD) contains the OS and the OS alone.

Drive D: (the HDD) contains or rather, will contain my Games etc.

Drive D: currently has 1 folder on it. "Starcraft II" that contains all of the install files, .exe file etc.

If I install any program or place any shortcut onto my desktop. (regardless of it being SSD or HDD) when I restart the PC, the programs will appear to have vanished (no shortcuts on screen etc)

However, if I follow the paths on the drives (ex: D:Games/Starcraft II), there still there, will not run and prompt to be re-installed. I can play the games fine only once they have been installed, but never after a restart.

KRONOS the First 17:29 15 Aug 2012

That certainly is strange and I have no idea what to suggest,but I will give it some thought.

piejonny 17:32 15 Aug 2012

Tell me about it, I'll keep searching the internet! (no results so far!)

Thanks for the time though!

KRONOS the First 17:57 15 Aug 2012

What little I have managed to find seems to point to a problem or corruption within the registry. So you could either do a clean install of Windows 7( my choice) or try a repair. I find a repair causes more problems than it solves. Anyway with Windows 7 slipstreamed with SP1 I find it does not take that long to do a clean install.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?