Windows 7, slow buffering?

lewtra26 18:38 16 Sep 2010

Evening, I have bought a new laptop, it has Windows 7 home premium installed. Everything is fine, but it takes forever to buffer videos.I still have my old Dell with Xp pro and it plays video without having to pause and buffer. I have google the problem, but cannot find a cure.It is driving me crazy!!
I though I would try here.

Thanks

jack 18:47 16 Sep 2010

Tell us more about the machine.
Also when running vids what else in going on?
Are still on line ?- I bet you are
A/V progs scanning
All compete for processor time and RAM.

lewtra26 19:04 16 Sep 2010

Hi Jack thanks for a quick response. The laptop is a, Emachines E640/250GB Hdd/2GB memory/ Athlon P320 Duel core processor.
I have set up the E640 and my old XP Dell, side by side and the Dell buffers no problem.I thought it might be a software problem of some sort.Nothing else is running on the machine when on Youtube..It has been the same from day one.

Thanks

jack 10:32 18 Sep 2010

U-Tube.
You are on line- buffering is due to download input
As you say Dell suffers no problems- so it would all seem to do with the capability of the E Machine to handle the download input Win 7 and software may well have issues- There are plenty of reports of Drivers/older software not running as they should.
Check out if Win 7 [I have no in depth knowledge of its inner secrets- yet] has the capability to run as XP- just as XP can be back stepped to older system to get over compatibilities [In XP it is to be found in-Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Program comparability Wizard]

lewtra26 17:23 21 Sep 2010

Thanks jack, for the help. For anyone else with the same issue. It turned out to be one of the 'Microsoft security updates' I don't know which one is the culprit, I have to re-install them one by one and test the buffering. I will do that over the weekend when I have more time. I will post the outcome in this thread..

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?