Windows 7 slow booting

bruno 17:31 10 Oct 2010

I have an HP pc running Windows 7, Home premium. Yesterday it developed a problem.It suddenly took almost 5 minutes to boot, normally it is about 90 seconds.Also the task bar at the bottom had changed colour and the small square in the bottom right which fades the open window so you can see the desk top, had changed shape and it does not fade the open window but acts like a switch. I have scanned for intruders and tried to reset using the normal methods but nothing will bring it back to its original state. When I access Personalise, I cannot highlight any of the Aero selections as I used to be able to do. Any suggestions will be very welcome.

VoG II 18:12 10 Oct 2010

Have you tried a System Restore back a couple of days?

bruno 18:28 10 Oct 2010

Yes, I tried several different restores.It is a complete mystery, one minute it was working and the next it had changed colours etc.It appears that Windows basic will not select and none of the Aero themes will highlight. Since my original post I received a small message which said,"Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service. This problem prevents standard users from logging on to the system. Review System Event log for details."This comes on when I reboot and vanishes after 30 seconds or so.

QuizMan 18:29 10 Oct 2010

Anything here any help? click here

bruno 15:36 11 Oct 2010

I will give that a look and let you know if I have any joy. Thanks for the reply.

pk46 21:15 11 Oct 2010

Have you checked the event log that will show up boot problems,if all else fails do a full re-install a pain hope your backed up.
90 seconds is slower than my computer mine boots in 45 to 50 seconds i have a HP slimline

bruno 22:35 11 Oct 2010

It varied between 1 minute and 2.Even at brand new it was not as quick as yours. I put this down to all the stuff HP pre-loaded. I have searched on line and apparently this is quite common. I have now tried several solutions but so far nothing has worked. I am well backed up if I have to restinstall, but some of the sufferers have said this did not cure their problems.

kristain 09:02 12 Oct 2010

Try the following trick to make Windows boot faster.

1. Press Win + R (click start>run) to open “Run” dialog window.
2. Type MSConfig into the text box after “Open”.
3. Go to Boot tab.
4. For dual-boot or multi-boot system, make sure that the operating system to make the change is selected.
5. Click on Advanced options button.
6. Tick the check box for Number of processors, and then select the maximum number count of CPU core processors value from the drop down list.
7. Click OK twice to exit System Configuration.
8. Restart computer.

bruno 18:18 19 Nov 2010

I ended up doing a re-installation and it is back to normal now. Thank you all for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?