windows 7 resolution issues

jake2 11:00 03 Aug 2010

We have a network of xp pcs using networked printers through a server. Recently a windows 7 machine was added and I am having trouble getting the resoulution correct.
All other machines are set to 1024 x 768 by the server and on the pcs themselves.
The windows 7 machine however has a resolution of 1280 x 1024 on the server. The pc itself is, as the others 1024 x 768.
When logged onto the server the option to adjust resolution is disabled as it it set for all machines by the server.
Why has this one machine got a different resolution to the others?
And how can I change this to match the others?

kristain 11:24 03 Aug 2010

It might be the problem with hosts file.

In explorer, go to tools => folder options => view. Uncheck "hide operating system protected files" and "hide extensions for known file types" and check "show hidden files and folder".

Now navigate to c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc and locate the file named hosts and open this file in notepad. Ignore the lines starting with # but check that there are no other lines than 127.0.0.1 localhost at the bottom. Report if you see other such lines.

If still facing the problem contact your service provider or click here for help

jake2 12:23 03 Aug 2010

Thanks Kristain,
I did as you asked and there was another local host number.
::1

What next?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?