Windows 7 repair

Condom 17:04 24 Aug 2010

Is there anyway of repairing Windows 7 using the original disk without having to do a fresh reinstall. In XP I'm sure I remember a choice of repairing but I don't seem to be able to find a similar option in 7

jimv7 17:12 24 Aug 2010

Boot from the win 7 disk, you will have the option to repair.

rdave13 17:22 24 Aug 2010

If not the startup repair you need but a repair installation have a look here; click here

birdface 19:48 24 Aug 2010

You can run sfc /scannow without the disck.
or system restore.
System repair you have to install the disc and do the repair that way.
I am sure someone can explain the best way to do it.

birdface 20:04 24 Aug 2010

Looks like this is it for repair.

click here

birdface 20:07 24 Aug 2010

Ignore last just had another quick read and it did not look right.

birdface 20:14 24 Aug 2010

I was a bit worried when this came up.

[Click on the Upgrade option.]

I was thinking if you are only doing a repair why does it say Upgrade.
As I am not sure whether you should go ahead with it or not I would wait until someone else can say if it is Ok or not.

gengiscant 08:57 25 Aug 2010

You might find that using the repair option throws up more problems than it fixes. It certainly did with me. I found it easier to reinstall rather than repair.

birdface 09:06 25 Aug 2010

If you run in safe mode it gives you an option of repairing the computer without doing a full repair.
Not sure if that would help or not.
Only takes about 2 minutes so what it actually repairs I know not.

Condom 04:23 28 Aug 2010

Thanks for all your suggestions. I don't know what hapened as the PC was fine when I switched off but would not start again in the morning. I couldn't get it beyond the windows start up logo. I managed to get it into safe mode but I found all my restore points had also vanished so that didn't make me a happy bunny.

After a full day of tearing my hair out, the new baldy me finally decided on a fresh install as I couldn't find anyway of repairing using the Win 7 disk, just the option to upgrade to a higher version and after windows spent hours trying to repair itself from the boot nothing happened.

Anyway to cut a very long story short I did the fresh install and wonderful, wonderful Win 7 kept a complete copy of all my files and programs in a file called old windows so I have not lost anything except the little pictures on my messenger contacts and they will probably be there somewhere if I chose to spend hours looking for them.

My PC was virus free and as it has restarted OK it was not a hardware problem so I'll put it down to just one of these things and give myself a severe scolding for not having a backup.

realmadridstar 09:13 28 Aug 2010

China windows CD sold very cheap as long as one U.S. dollar I think are pirated
[url=click here]maplestory mesos[/url]
[url=click here]runescape gold[/url]

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017