Windows 7 Professional Windows Defender

Border View 11:38 09 Oct 2014
Answered

New laptop running Windows 7 Professional. I have downloaded and installed Avast free antivirus. Looking at the setting laptop is also running Windows Defender. Should I turn off Defender and if so how.

Your help would be appreciated. Thank you.

john bunyan 11:54 09 Oct 2014

See here:

Defender

I think you can also do it via Action Centre.( I use Avast also with W7 Ult)

Border View 12:31 09 Oct 2014

Please help me get my head around Defender. Is it a firewall or antivirus. I don't think Avast Free comes with a Firewall.

Do I need Defender and an Antivirus?

Border View 12:31 09 Oct 2014

Sorry, I should have said thank you for responding Jock1e and John Bunyan.

john bunyan 12:42 09 Oct 2014

Defender is an anti spyware programme but not a very good anti virus one. I just remembered how I turned mine off. Open Action Centre (little pennant in taskbar) .Click on Security. In section on "Spyware and Unwanted Programmes" , click on "View installed antispyware programmes" . You will see Avast and Defender, on. Right click on Defender. select Turn off.

john bunyan 12:46 09 Oct 2014

PS I would also have Malawarebytes and Superantispyware - free but you need to scan and update manually. I use the pro version of Malawarebytes (Jock 1e gave me a link to the lifetime subscription) as I found a few months ago that Avast in the continuous web surveillance mode `seemed to interfere with iCloud

john bunyan 12:47 09 Oct 2014

PPS The Windows Firewall is fine for W7 - I would leave it alone.

Woolwell 13:37 09 Oct 2014

When referring to Defender you have to make sure whether you are talking about the W8 or W7 version. The W7 version is anti-malware only and isn't that good. The W8 versions includes anti-virus and replaces MSE but also is not very good.

You can turn it off, which is what I have done. See Turn Windows Defender W7 on or off

Border View 13:57 09 Oct 2014
Answer

Many thanks for your responses. I have Malwarebytes (bought for version) and Superantispyware on my desktop so shall download them for the new laptop.

In the meanwhile I shall turn off Defender.

Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?