Windows 7 painfully slow

justkevin 18:05 01 Sep 2010

I have read that removing some programmes will speed up the pc ,not sure if this is so.Will removing some of MS office have any effect as I never use such stuff as Powerpoint,to name just one.I have nothing on startup ,yet there is much clicking and whirring so something is happening.
Does anyone have any ideas.Everyone thinks their pc is slow but this is painfully slow.

birdface 18:22 01 Sep 2010

Make sure your Security programs are not running a scan at start up.Change them to scan at a later time.
check Device manager to make sure that there are no yellow exclamation marks beside any of the devices.
If all updates have been installed try a defrag.
If using IE8 try Firefox to see if any quicker.

birdface 18:26 01 Sep 2010

What security programs do you have and have you ran any off them.
Maybe give Malwarebytes free a try and see if it finds any problems.
Then off course have you enough memory and disc space.

much clicking and whirring

Make sure you have not left any disc's in any of the drives.

rawprawn 18:28 01 Sep 2010

Removing Ms office will have no effect on your computer speed, or any other program for that matter.
A) download and run click here in deafault and delete anything it finds
B) Go to Start> Run and type msconfig then hit Enter> Open the Start Tab and untick anything you do not need to start. This will not delete (uninstall the program)simply stop it loading at start up.
Download and Run Malwarebytes click here delete anything it finds.
Clicking and Whirring suggests a dying Hard Drive, backup all your data as soon as possible to avoid loss.
Let us know how you get on.

justkevin 23:29 01 Sep 2010

Hi
Thanks for your comments to recap my position ,I have checked device mngr,defrag,chkdsk,disc clean,Regoptimiser,cc cleaner ,I run MS security essentials only,my hard drive is 75 mb and I have 4 gig Ram finally there are no scans on startup.I stopped using my antivirus as the fellow I bought it off said it would slow things down and they were in the main unecessary,he offered to repair free if I ever got infected as a result of doing this.

birdface 23:37 01 Sep 2010

Try running malwarebytes and see if it picks any problems up.
If your other anti-virus was Norton download the Norton removal tool to get rid of it properly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?