Windows 7 not genuine?

kimtrnc 14:59 20 Jul 2010

I bought a computer from an ebay seller approx 9 months ago. It blew up almost immediately, and had to be comprehensively repaired. Paypal/Ebay were kind enough to give me most of my money back, but of course i had to pay for the repair.
This morning, the computer suddenly announced that "this is not a valid copy of Win 7", and now expects me to pay a further £165 to validate. If it really isn't genuine, why did it take so long to discover this fact, and is there any way round this?
I have never been daft enough to use pirate software, most especially when we're talking about an operating system! Is this a glitch, or must I really pay again?
Come back Vic 20 and Amstrad - all is foorgiven.....!

gengiscant 15:19 20 Jul 2010

I have seen the 'this copy of windows is a fake'or whatever it says twice and I bought mine from Amazon. Try this.
You can use WAT (Windows Activation Technologies) to confirm if copy of Windows 7 installed on PC is genuine or not. WAT also help protect against the risks of counterfeit software. It is an online check that enables you to verify that the copy of Windows 7 that is running on your computer is activated correctly and is genuine.
click here

kimtrnc 15:37 20 Jul 2010

gengiscant - thanks for the advice, but validation still says it's not genuine. Any other ideas?
Don't really understand why it should suddenly give up after all this time - I thought it would have shouted at me straightaway if there was a problem? I certainly paid for it, although come to think of it, I never did get an actual copy - it was preloaded!

northumbria61 15:43 20 Jul 2010

I have seen friends computers come up with that message after 2yrs in XP. It seems Microsoft check the validation codes in "batches"

northumbria61 15:48 20 Jul 2010

"I certainly paid for it, although come to think of it, I never did get an actual copy - it was preloaded!"

It could have been OEM

It is quite easy to do a check with Microsoft - as long as you are ready to hear the result ?

Glad to hear you got some money back.

SirMetal 15:55 20 Jul 2010

I hate to say this man but it looks like you have been scammed; they have obviously installed Windows 7 and then used a program to fool the PC into thinking that it is genuine. If this is the case, then you will have to fork out even more money in order to make it genuine.

As for your question about "why has it only just started saying this?" - there was recently an update that went out via Windows Update that checks whether the operating system is genuine or not; this update also checks back with Microsoft every 60 - 90 (I think) to check if any other programs that fool the PC into thinking that it's legal have come out.

I'm sorry to hear about this man.

john bunyan 16:21 20 Jul 2010

I suspect another explanation may be malware. Try running Malawarebytes and Superantispyware. I had a similar problem a couple of months ago, and found the "bug" had also disabled MAB and SAS. In the end,luckily for me, I had a recent ATI clone and that cured it. I suspect my bug was planted by a programme that alleged to check on updates for software that I (foolishly with hindsight) downloaded along with a genuine hardware checker.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?