Windows 7 not booting, black screen

nicoleackles 19:36 27 Jun 2016

Hi! I have some issues with my PC.. I wanted to start it today, but Windows didn't boot. After 3 restarts, the message "A disk read error occurred. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart." I spent hours reading how to fix this issue, tried resetting BIOS to default, I replaced the HDD (a SATA HDD with a IDE HDD), I removed and re-added the RAM memories.. 3 out of many times, it beeped 2 times when restarting. Now it doesn't beep.. And it reads the windows CD (windows 7), but every time I select recovery, I get a black screen. I can go into BIOS menu and the "boot from" menu(which later gives the same black screen), other than these, I can't do anything else. The source is fine, the HDD didn't make any noises, all coolers work fine.. Does anyone have any idea what else I can try?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:44 28 Jun 2016

"A disk read error occurred. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart."

Its struggling to read your sata SSD.

I replaced the HDD (a SATA HDD with a IDE HDD)

do you have windows installed on this drive and have you reset the BIOS to boot from an IDE hdd?

nicoleackles 16:24 28 Jun 2016

The "A disk error occurred" it's tricky.. I browsed through several forums, websites, blogs

I couldn't do much on it, other than enter BIOS,change settings there and select where to boot from. The only reason I replaced the HDD was to see if the original S-ATA HDD was the problem.. And it wasn't. Same black screen was happening with both sata and ide. After I put the original HDD back, and left the PC untouched for a few hours, windows recovery worked, said volume was corrupted, fixed itself and it's working since then, no data was lost I guess rewiring the HDD did the trick, I'm still not sure.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?