Windows 7 NetBook Problems

Rhondda Valleys 12:21 27 Dec 2009

Hi
I have just received a HP Netbook running Windows 7 as a present. As with all these things it does not have a CD drive.

My desktop is running XP Home.

How can I load programs onto the Netbook?

chub_tor 12:27 27 Dec 2009

You could buy an external CD/DVD drive and plug it into a USB port or using your XP desktop you could copy your programmes from CD to a USB memory stick and then install onto your netbook from that.

greenlamp 17:59 27 Dec 2009

Software is available to run an iso image of the cd, loaded on to the hard drive, as a virtual cd. if I remember rightly there is a free download of the software available on the microsoft site. This also allows you to run those products that require the cd to be present in a cd drive. copying all individual files to a usb drive sometimes works but can take a long time to copy all files, producing an iso image is quite quick.

greenlamp 18:27 27 Dec 2009

Is this any help click here

woodchip 19:33 27 Dec 2009

I just this last two weeks bought a Samsung Netbook running XP home. You could do what I did Start both Computers and any Printers you want to be able to print to, on the XP computer go to Control Panel Networking Wizard run the Wizard to create a Network its easy just answer to questions it asks then Create a USB disc Using USB memory Stick when it asks you to create a disc. Put this in the Netbook and double click on the single file it creates to setup the Netbook. After you have done that Go to the XP comp with your CD put it in right click the drive Click Properties\sharing then set the drive to share in the Netbook you need to go into Windows Explorer by pressing Windows Key with Flag on it plus the E key to start Explorer. Bottom left you will See Networks Expand them till you find Mshome network you should see the drive there double click it and look for the Setup file of the Program you want to install double click it and it will install on the Netbook. Just loaded a big program today but its a a bit slow over a network, but it gets there in the end

superhoops 19:55 27 Dec 2009

When I got my netbook I just copied all the files from Office 2007, Microsoft Money etc onto my external hard drive. Plugged it into the netbook and voila. Whole thing done in 20 mins.

woodchip 22:12 27 Dec 2009

Most programs will not work like that, as when loaded files go all over the disc and entry's into the registry

woodchip 16:42 28 Dec 2009

i tried that with my corel wordperfect office, but i tried running setup it kept saying files missing. so i ran it over my network direct from laptop dvd drive

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017