Windows 7 and LCD TV!

herc182 11:16 29 Jan 2011

Dear all,
I recently bought a Sony Bravia KDL32EX503U. This apparently has wifi (or at least, I need to get a usb stick to make it work - could this be any USB wifi stick or propriety SOny one?).

Anyway, is there a way of connecting my windows 7 laptop via wifi to play movies on the tv? Much like Apple TV except, I dont want Apple TV!

And would it matter if the movies are on an external harddrive?

Thanks

herc182 16:56 29 Jan 2011

any thoughts?

woodchip 17:05 29 Jan 2011

If its WiFi, it will be built in and you should not need anything to connect to the net, other than wireless router and enter security setting into the TV

Ian in Northampton 17:12 29 Jan 2011

Woodchip: not necessarily - I was browsing the Richer Sounds web site recently, and they were promoting wi-fi TVs - but all of them needed a dongle, which was manufacturer-specific, at a cost of £40 - £60.

woodchip 17:53 29 Jan 2011

If that's the case, its a representation of goods, Would you buy a Laptop that said it was WiFi only to have to buy a Dongle to connect it to the net?

you can buy fridges with Linux Operating system PC built into doors WiFi so you can shop online like Tesco. These are WiFi and do not need other hardware

lotvic 18:16 29 Jan 2011

herc182 RTM ;@
It's got both, Bravia Internet TV (built in) and Wireless LAN if you put dongle in.
Also will play movies and content from your external HDD if you plug it into the usb on the tele.

Features KDL-32EX503 click here
* Full HD 1080 – watch sports, movies and games in superb High Definition detail with a 1920 x 1080 pixel picture resolution
* Motionflow 100Hz with Image Blur Reduction – enjoy smooth, sharp images in fast-moving scenes, such as sports or action movies, with technology that delivers twice the number of images than conventional 50Hz TVs
* Wireless LAN Ready – add SONY UWA-BR100 USB dongle and you can easily connect to your wireless home network without the clutter of cables
* BRAVIA Internet Video – connect your TV directly to the Internet to access online services, stream full-screen videos and watch the programmes you missed on catch-up TV (available services subject to country)
* DLNA – stream movies, music and photos to your BRAVIA from compatible devices, such as a laptop, mobile phone or music player, no matter where in the home they are located
* BRAVIA ENGINE 3 – view images with impressive detail, optimal contrast, and truer-to-life colour tones
* USB Media Player – plug in a USB device and enjoy movies, photos and music on your TV using USB playback
* Cinema Mode – choose from two different cinema modes to reproduce an authentic movie experience at home with unique film-like textures and adjusted colour and brightness settings
* Ambient Sensor – let the TV automatically detect the brightness and colour temperature of ambient light in the room and optimise image quality so you always enjoy pictures which are comforting to the eye
* HDMI® – 4 inputs (2 on rear, 2 on side, all with CEC) make it easier to connect to High Definition sources such as Blu-ray Disc™ and PLAYSTATION®3

Ian in Northampton 18:42 29 Jan 2011

Woodchip: Richer Sounds describe them as 'wi-fi ready'. I guess that makes it more or less acceptable..

herc182 19:10 29 Jan 2011

thats the problem. It says its wifi ready but needs the dongle. Sadly I think the cheapest is £50 from Amazon!

herc182 19:29 29 Jan 2011

@lotvik
The only problem with connecting the external HDD to the tv itself is that it doenst support that many formats. In fact, i struggled to get a jpg to work on the thing!

woodchip 20:59 29 Jan 2011

My above should have said "its a misrepresentation of goods" It ether is WiFi or not. there is no in-between

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?