Windows 7 laptop suddenly goes into ultra-slow-motion

Pineman100 12:07 18 Mar 2014

My wife's HP Pavilion DV3 runs Windows 7 32 bit.

Lately it has developed a habit of suddenly slowing right down, almost to a halt. Clicked links take many minutes to activate; if she's playing music or speech from the internet it sounds like a slow-motion Donald Duck; if she's running MS Word or Excel, it takes a-g-e-s to click from one function to another. It's as though the whole computer has suddenly gone into ultra-slow-motion. The only solution is to crash out with the power button.

I have run CCleaner's general and registry clean-ups, with no success.

This usually happens when she's been using the laptop for quite a while, which has led me to wonder whether this is an overheating problem - the computer is several years old. However, the cooling fan is definitely still working - I can feel and hear it.

I've searched for instructions on how to clean out the cooling fan and airways. The result is terrifying for someone who has only a very modest experience of dismantling a laptop (I have replaced and HDD and RAM units but that's all)! See:

click here I dare to venture into this operation, please could you advise me on the following?

1. Do you agree that overheating could be the basis of this problem?

2. Is there any way I can confirm that diagnosis without dismantling the computer?

3. Is there any way of cleaning dust and grot out of the fan and airways without dismantling? For example, would it be dangerous to apply a vacuum cleaner nozzle to the grille in the side of the computer, beside the cooling fan?

All thoughts and advice gratefully received.

Before

imendpc 12:28 18 Mar 2014

Hold your horses. You have done a whole load of work but there is a first step that you should begin with! Go to Task Manager and see what programs or processes may be running with high CPU! (Hence slowed down your PC.) Then you boot into safe mode to see if this could be due to a driver problem.

lotvic 12:45 18 Mar 2014

It could be Anti-Virus program running a scheduled full scan or a backup program etc. Taskmanager should show what is running.

Pineman100 14:38 19 Mar 2014

Thanks everyone. I will do as you suggest - first using Task Manager to see what might be gobbling up resources (I hadn't thought of that - doh!).

If that doesn't bring anything to light, I'll try using Core Temp.

Thanks again - I'll report back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?