windows 7 install problems now xp wont install. helpppp

shauny36 16:43 01 Jan 2014

have got xp OS and am trying to install win 7. tried install when on desktop but couldnt format c. so booted from disc then got part the way through then got error-WINDOWS INSTALLATION ENCOUNTED A PROBLEM AND COULD NOT RESTORE YOUR PREVIOUS VERSION OF WINDOWS.sometimes i get a blue screen. tried 3 diff discs then tried my faithful XP disc but that wont boot to install (dvd is 1st boot. not getting no option for DRIVE OPTION (ADVANCED)when starting win 7 from boot.have even made a partition to install ther but that doesnt work also just the same. tried CLEAN IN DISKPART but that says VIRTUAL DISK SERVER ERROR CLEAN IS NOT ALLOWED ON THE CURRENT BOOT. i can still get onto xp as normal. if i can format c i think i might be in with a chance.

lotvic 20:12 01 Jan 2014

The only way to format C: is to boot from a disc.

You cannot boot up into C: and then format C: from within Windows as you are telling Windows to delete itself and the instructions to delete.... think about that for a moment.

shauny36 07:38 02 Jan 2014

if i removed the hdd and formated it via my laptop would that give me a chance.was trying to install to other drive from desktop when installing from desktop.also when installing win 7 it booted ok and came up press any key to boot from cd dvd. but when i put xp in it comes up start boot from CD and wont go any further.

lotvic 11:39 02 Jan 2014

Have a look at the install guides on click here

I'm still unclear as to how many Hard drives and partitions you have and how many pcs and if your O/Ss are retail or OEM etc, so am unable to advise things like: connect this to that, and do this etc

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:43 02 Jan 2014

Sounds like it doesn't like your XP CD also if you have sata HDDs then XP will not recognise the drives and you will need to make a slipstream disk.

You would be better trying to stick with windows 7

boot from the DVD and let it do a startup repir (try a few times 5) if that dosent work then do a clean install of 7

shauny36 19:01 02 Jan 2014

have used the same xp disc that the pc is running now and it has had about 4 installs with it on the same pc and others. have just used it in my laptop and is booting ok to install. there is only 1 hdd in and has 2 partitions alltogether. have also tried another xp disc which also say STARTING TO BOOT FROM CD and that is as far as it goes.have tried to do a clean and repair install about 6 times with win 7.(copied discs)also why dont i get the option to format when loading win 7 (DRIVE OPTION ADVANCED) is there a way i can format the os before it logs on.

shauny36 18:24 04 Jan 2014

formated the hdd using a different pc then tried again to installon old pc but no joy.so put the hdd back in the other pc and win7 installed straight away.any ideas why it wont install on the 1st pc but installs on the 2nd

lotvic 23:16 04 Jan 2014

I don't know. But thought I would post so you wouldn't think we had forgotten you :)

shauny36 10:29 05 Jan 2014

thanks for the sympothy post lol.

could it be the motherboard.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone