Windows 7 install but I have a couple of questions

FatboySlim71 09:41 25 Apr 2009

I have Vista installed on my PC, but I am thinking of installing Windows 7 to get a look at what the forthcoming OS is going to be like, with maybe the intention of getting Windows 7 when it comes out so has I can install it on my laptop and on my desktop machines.

I am wanting to install Windows 7 RC1 build 7100 on to my desktop machine, but I do not want to overwrite my Vista OS. I was wondering what will be the easiest and safest way of installing Windows 7 and been able to keep my Vista OS and all the programs I have installed intact, has I expect that some of my programs will not work with Windows 7. Ideally I would like to be able to choose to boot from either Vista or Windows 7 as and when I want to if this is possible. I would like to be able to get rid of Windows 7 if I really didn't like it and again, with leaving my Vista OS and all my programs intact. Is all this possible and if so how do I do it?

I realize Windows 7 is not out yet, but has I previously mentioned,

"with maybe the intention of getting Windows 7 when it comes out so has I can install it on my laptop and on my desktop machines".

Am I correct in thinking that to do the above I would need to buy a retail version of the OS?

At present both the laptop and desktop have OEM versions of Vista on them.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

birdface 10:06 25 Apr 2009

As far as I know there is supposed to be another version of Windows 7 coming out next month that you will be able to download and run for free for 1 year.So maybe better waiting a few weeks.

FatboySlim71 10:07 25 Apr 2009

Thanks for that Buteman.

FatboySlim71 10:23 25 Apr 2009

I think I will wait till next month and see if the Windows 7 which would run for 1 year is available to download.

But in the mean time could anyone else assist with the other questions I have, I just want to have plenty of information/help before I do install Windows 7.

Thanks in advance.

jamesd1981 13:05 25 Apr 2009

fatboy slim71 you will have to partion your hard dive go to downloads.cnet.com and download program called PARTED MAGIC its easy to use partion whatever size you need say half your driver so you would keep your vista c drive and have 7 on other half when you have created 2nd partion you have to right click and make it a primary partion to be able to have system on it then when u start your machine you will get a black screen that lets you pick which system you want to start the default will be 7.

Zeppelyn 14:15 25 Apr 2009

That is the build number of the RC which will be available next month, only leaked to torrents so far.

To be honest I would install it if you want to have a look but as for replacing Vista, well its your money but not that different under the hood, all your Vista programs will be compatible.

You need a spare partition or hard disk to install, the install will see Vista and create a dual boot menu for you.

Forum Editor 15:01 25 Apr 2009

but your hardware may not - there are lots of driver issues at the moment, and I know for sure that some of the HP printers will not work in Windows 7.

Those will be sorted out prior to final release, but remember that it's beta software you'll be running, so proceed with due caution.

shadespug 15:46 25 Apr 2009

Thanks everyone for the help its much appreciated.

So if I installed Windows 7 on a separate partition, would I be able to access and run (compatibility dependent) all the programs I have and run now (with Vista) or would I need to re install these programs again onto the partition that would have Windows 7 installed?

FatboySlim71 15:51 25 Apr 2009

Whoops about the last post,

I was logged in as a friend of mine on Firefox (as I was helping him with a problem he had a while back and I hadn't logged out of Firefox with his details.

Normally I access PC Advisor via Internet Explorer, apologize for any confusion caused.

Zeppelyn 16:05 25 Apr 2009

You will need to reinstall your programs.

jamesd1981 16:08 25 Apr 2009

hi shadespug with dual boot vista & 7 you will have to install your software and hardware i.e. printer etc on windows 7 although i run dual boot and when you are in vista you can see and access windows 7 including your user files and program files but you cant see vista when in windows 7.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache