windows 7 incorrectly reports low disk space error

ria 21:26 01 Feb 2010

I have 2 hard drives installed on my computer (150GB with 2 partitions and 400GB with 3 partitions).
On the 150GB one I have windows 7 and my programs installed. The other one I use for my documents, media files and backups.
A few days ago my computer has begun complaining about low disc space on C: drive.
When I start the computer up in "computer" it says there is 72.7GB free out of 94.8GB on C: drive. Within 2 hours just browsing the net or listening to music I get a balloon popping up saying that the volume is almost full and has only 400MB free ...it offers a cleanup, freezes up the computer and I can't save any work. I can't use system restore as the cleanup utility empted the recycle bin.
What's going on?
Ria

jamesd1981 01:26 02 Feb 2010

hi make sure your system restore is turned down to first setting or if you dont use it off altogether, and regularly run system cleaning tools.

ria 19:43 02 Feb 2010

I have system restore set to 10%.
In the past couple of days I have run lots of system cleaning tools, including check disk and also utilities like CCleaner, Disk Cleaner and Registry Mechanic.
I also like to add that I only formatted my hard drive and reinstalled win7 64 bit about 6 weeks ago.

jamesd1981 16:15 03 Feb 2010

have you tried inserting your windows disc and doing a repair, perhaps in your reinstall a few weeks ago something didint go right.

john bunyan 16:21 03 Feb 2010

I have W7 Ultimate 64 bit and quite a few other progs such as PS CS4 on a 50 gig partition which I am going to increase to 80, as system restore is set to use 12 Gig and I have used 30 or so on System. All my data is stored on the data partition, but I think eMail defaults to the C Drive, so that is worth a look at. I have not experienced your problem Have you tried running a scan with Superantispyware and Malawarebytes - free.?

ria 21:03 03 Feb 2010

Windows run perfectly until a few days ago. I did a clean install.
When C: drive goes down to 100 bytes it even disables McAfee Security Center.
I will give the two programs mentioned above a go.

ria 19:35 05 Feb 2010

I have run the two programs now as well as others like Spybot - Search & Destroy and Ad-Aware. None of them found anything seriously wrong.
Still down to 0 bytes within an our hour or so.
I run a repair from windows installation disk .
Well, I guess the only way out of this is another reinstall of windows. :(

john bunyan 19:46 05 Feb 2010

Have you run chkdsk to check drive for errors? To do so Click Start, Computer, highlight C:, right click, select properties,tools, then "check drive for errors" It will reboot and run the check on restart - be patient, takes quite a while (select options to auto repair etc when the check drive for errord option appears.)

ria 18:27 06 Feb 2010

yes, tried that as well

rdave13 19:24 06 Feb 2010

Try spacemonger. It will show what type of files are filling up your C: drive. If temporary files then it should be safe to delete them.
As for system restore I select 20% otherwise it might fail if a lot of restore point are created in a short time.
click here

john bunyan 20:04 06 Feb 2010

This may also be worth a try:
click here Not tried it but would like to know if it, or Spacemonger works well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?