Windows 7 HomePremium/ Crashing

Cara2 20:02 04 Oct 2014

As above. Very random. Can lock up (frozen mouse etc) or flashing screen turning black. I have to close computer down whilst programs are still open.

Any solutions? Think all my updates are current along with anti-virus.

rdave13 20:43 04 Oct 2014

Try running in safe mode for a while, whether you'll be allowed to connect to the net is another matter. I'm going on the lines of a bad driver for now. Possibly your graphics driver.

Cara2 19:32 05 Oct 2014

Thank you for both suggestions. I will try safe mode.

I have never heard of Events Viewer before. Looking at it, it has a lot of information much of which goes right over my head.

One random comment is Event Type: Critical - and Kernel Power. Lots of these. They refer to the computer crashing. Can you further advise on what I am looking for please?

rdave13 19:49 05 Oct 2014

I had similar events on my PC. Event viewer usually shows the results but not the cause of the symptom. In my case changing the PSU cured it. I can't guarantee it will fix your particular problem though. In my case it would, at rare times, just freeze and sometimes recover but mostly 'cut out' completely without warning. It would reboot and be fine for days again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?