Windows 7 Home Premium - Icons disappeared from the desktop

Redekin 16:05 11 Jul 2014
Answered

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium. PC is HP desktop p6-2109eo (purchased as new in 2012). All icons from the desktop disappeared in a totally normal working process.

1. You cannot see the icons in the fil "Desktop". It is empty.
  2. Accordingly, you cannot restore them by the drop command "Return/Restore the icons".
  3. Using "Pesonalize" the desktop, you could not restore "The user's icons", though some other icons returned to dekstop.
  4. I got an advice: Rebuild the icon cache, even in two ways. The instructions, however, seemed too complicated and thus risky to a senior like me.
  5. Should one go - not less than - and restore the operatnig system?
  Woolwell 16:11 11 Jul 2014

Try a system restore. This is not a restore of the operating system which at this time is OTT. Hope you have your photos and documents backed up.

Redekin 16:26 11 Jul 2014
Answer

Thanks Woolwell!

Try a system restore. WILL TRY AFTER SOME MORE KIND COMMENTS FROM YOU, PLEASE. SEE BELOW.
This is not a restore of the operating system which at this time is OTT. COULD YOU KINDLY CLARIFY TO THIS SENIOR+ WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY THIS. Hope you have your photos and documents backed up. THIS IS OK - THEY ARE ON AN ADDITIONAL SEPARATE DISC STATION.

Woolwell 17:23 11 Jul 2014

Don't use capitals as they equate to shouting.

A restore of the operating system will put your machine back to as if you had just bought it. System restore will take it back to hopefully before the problem began.

Redekin 11:21 12 Jul 2014

Hi all helpers!

Tried various checks etc. recommended to me. Restoring the system finally solved the problem.
Have a good summer for the remainig part of it! And Thanks!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?