Windows 7 firewall

iqs 21:17 15 Feb 2011

Hi.

Just wondering how good the Windows 7 firewall is compared to say zone alarm and others.

And does it matter which firewall you use when a router has an hardware firewall ?

Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:21 15 Feb 2011

1. As good as Zonealarm

2. Some say you do not need a software firewall when you have the routers hardware firewall.
Personally I think the routers firewall is only incomming and like to a a firewall that stops outgoing aswell.

iqs 21:48 15 Feb 2011

Hi Fruit Bat /\0/\,

And thank you for the reply.

In the past I have always paid for a firewall/security centre.

Currently I am using Bullguard 10.It was undated from 9-10,then when I noticed issues.

The firewall works well,but I dont trust the anti-virus scanner 100%.I use the usual apps to support it.

Since the upgrade the time taken to scan C: takes about 1 hour 5 minutes,I have not removed any data or un-installed any apps or games etc.

Today the same scan takes 4.5 minutes,if I start W7 in safe mode the scan takes about 50 minutes.

I'm not sure it there's an issue since the update,but my confidence in Bullguard has been shattered .Hence the post for a new firewall.

iqs 21:48 15 Feb 2011

Hi Fruit Bat /\0/\,

And thank you for the reply.

In the past I have always paid for a firewall/security centre.

Currently I am using Bullguard 10.It was undated from 9-10,then when I noticed issues.

The firewall works well,but I dont trust the anti-virus scanner 100%.I use the usual apps to support it.

Since the upgrade the time taken to scan C: takes about 1 hour 5 minutes,I have not removed any data or un-installed any apps or games etc.

Today the same scan takes 4.5 minutes,if I start W7 in safe mode the scan takes about 50 minutes.

I'm not sure it there's an issue since the update,but my confidence in Bullguard has been shattered .Hence the post for a new firewall.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:21 15 Feb 2011

Win 7 protection for free
Microsoft security essentials + windows own firewall. click here
SpywareBlaster as a blocker click here

and if your paranoid then back it up with Malwarebytes free click here and or SuperAntispyware free click here for a weekly scan to check if MSE has let anything through.

iqs 15:48 16 Feb 2011

Thanks again Fruit Bat /\0/\

john bunyan 16:13 16 Feb 2011

I have found PCTools free firewall good since switching to W7, along with Avira anti virus,and the anti malware items Fruit Bat /\0/\ mentions. I am sure MSE is fine too as am alternative to Avira.

john bunyan 16:15 16 Feb 2011

PS about 18 months ago I had my one and only severe virus that escaped paid for Bullguard.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone