Windows 7 Desktop PC 500GB Hard drive space being used.

Cumano 00:16 08 Dec 2014
Answered

For over two weeks the HD of my PC has used 40gb of space. Considering that I have not done any downloads other than updates for Windows O.S. and Adobe Apps. I don't know what is using it. Can anyone help ?

onthelimit1 08:33 08 Dec 2014

It may be backups taking up the space. Run WinDirStat to see what's taking up the space.

Cumano 11:26 09 Dec 2014

From Cumano, to Onthelimit1, I've tried to download WinDirStat.exe from 3 download sites, but, for some reason it just will not download. Thank you for your help.

john bunyan 13:12 09 Dec 2014

Try Treesize (free) see:

Treesize.

I would put my money on hidden restore points. For a start you can see how many there are and removin all but the latest 2 by using CCleaner (I assume you use it to clean temp internet files?) Here is a link if you do not have it (The free version is fine) :

CCleaner

In CCleaner, Tools, System restore - select and remove the older ones.

You can set a limit on the % space allocated to system restore - come back if you need further info.

Cumano 08:59 10 Dec 2014

From Cumano to John Bunyan, I downloaded CCleaner and used it as you suggested. I have now regained 31gb of HD space, but I can't find out where to set System Restore limit. Thank You for help, it's very much appreciated.

john bunyan 10:04 10 Dec 2014
Answer

Cumano

Assuming your HDD is not partitioned, I would set the amount of space allocated to system restore to about 12%. To do so, Click on start; click on computer; right click on Properties; click on System protection; click on tab "System Protection"; click on -Highlight - C: drive; click on configure; in next screen tick the top option "Restore system settings" ; further down there is a slider where you can set the %.(it will tell you the current usage). For info my current usage is 9% with a limit of 12%. I have about 3 or 4 restore points. Hope it works ok, do tick if so.

john bunyan 10:12 10 Dec 2014

PS in another thread you asked about creating a restore point; Windows does this automatically from time to time and at update times. I only do a manual restore point before installing a programme I may wish to uninstall quickly, or perhaps after a clean up after a malware or similar attack, as there is a danger of an unnoticed "infection" being kept in an automatic restore point.

robintheumpteenth 12:06 10 Dec 2014

" but I can't find out where to set System Restore limit. Thank You for help, it's very much appreciated."

Bill Gates' Elves buried it.

Control Panel > System and Security > System > System Protection > Configure

or

Press Windows Key and R and type systempropertiesprotection

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?