Windows 7 - Browsers?

kwil2 01:06 07 Mar 2011

Hi..
My current computer runs XP Home but shortly I'll be buying a new one running Windows 7 which I've no experience of at present.
I normally use Firefox as my browser but have also loaded Chrome and Internet Explorer.
I can access these any time I want with XP and there's no conflict.

I seem to remember reading that, because of legal reasons, Microsoft has to allow a new buyer the choice of browser during the installation of Win7
So, I guess at that point, I could choose Firefox.
Am I then able to choose the other two if I want and have them as options as I currently do on my XP computer - or are there likely to be conflicts?
Many thanks

Simsy 07:28 07 Mar 2011

The "Browser Choice" is installed as an update, (which, if you don't have auto updates you can decline)...

All it does is force you to realise that there are other browsers, and point out what some of them are.

The only "hiccup" I've come across, on someone else's PC, was that, (On the 64 bit version), it puts the 64 bit version of internet explorer on the taskbar, even if you'd put the 32 version there...

This might casue a bit of an issue with some sites as "Flash" doesn't run properly in the 64 bit version.

Other than that I've not encountered any problems myself, not heard of any.

Regards,

Simsy

dororof 08:15 07 Mar 2011

I have the 32bit v pinned with no problems, prefer FF now though.
I sometimes 'split screen' with the 32bit v and FF running with no apparent difficulty.

Pineman100 10:01 07 Mar 2011

When I installed Windows 7, Internet Explorer definitely went in as part of the OS. So I guess your new W7 computer will already have this loaded.

I usually run Firefox (free download, but occasionally IE or Chrome (free download).

No problems, no conflicts.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?