Windows 7 64 bit freezes after few minutes. Explorer hangs and then freezes.

AlessandroGherardi 11:40 31 Jul 2014

Hi to everybody. I have read tons of forums about this issue and I tried to do what advised, but I couldn't solve this issu with my PC. I upgraded my system 1 month ago, but I didn't achieve a stable configuration. New componets are MB, CPU, RAM and SSHD. I have suspects on PSU even nominal power should be ok.

---PC Configuration:

Windows 7 64-bit Intel Core i7-4770K Asus Z87-K KHX2133C11D3K4/16GX Kingston HyperX (4x4GB) Memory Ati Radeon HD5850 Crucial MX100 2.5" 256GB SATA III Solid State Drive PSU Modular Power Supply ATX 700W keyboard logithech usb wireless mouse advent wireless

---Symptoms:

Immediately after the boot, the graphic card fan starts increasing speed and then the system freezes. If I disable and re-enable the graphic card, fan stops overunning immediately and run normally; the system freezes later, randomly. After 3-4 hard resets, the system asks me to restore the system. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

After downgrading the graphic drivers, the system appeared stable for some days. But now it started again freezing in a different way: rather than increasing the card's fan speed, the graphic card starts flickering. It stops if I disable and re-enable the graphic card, but it starts again after few minutes and the system freezes.

Freezing mechanism: explorer stops responding, but the mouse pointer is still working. After 20-30 seconds mouse freezes as well. It happens randomly in idle state, using google chrome or playing videogames or in sleeping mode (it won't re-starts and it needs an hard reset)

---Attempts:

RAM voltage increased to 1.6V from 1.5V defalut. RAM timing decreased to 9 9 9 RAm freq decreased to 1600 -->Apparently these changes worked but only for few days<-- memory test with no problem system restore several times video drivers uninstall and reinstall (including downgrade) In safe mode the system seems to be stable I have uninstalled completely video drivers, working with default drivers. It freeses again. I have tried to stop services, but I din't have time: the system froze too quickly.

---Next attempts: clean/diagnostic boot Run Check Disk fresh windows installation

Any other advice?

Thank you

AlessandroGherardi 12:04 31 Jul 2014

Hi MechKB, thank you for you quick response. Yes I did a fresh installation after HW upgrade and I installed the MB drivers pack from CD. I have the feeling something is wrong with USB drivers, though.

AlessandroGherardi 12:55 31 Jul 2014

Hi MechKB 2

RAM modules are KHX2133C11D3K4/16GX Kingston HyperX (4x4GB). Is this info enough? If you need more info I will give you later, when I will go back home. I had the feeling of something wrong with the USB because changing USB sockets for keyboard and mouse I have noticed a different behaviour. But it could be due to the randomness of failure.

Without GPU drivers installed (the card is still physically inserted) the system freezes again, but with no flickering. My MoBo is the Asus Z87-K. ( click here ).

Sorry I have just realized that the text format make the pc specs not clearly readable. I re post it here for your convenience:

------------------------------->

• Windows 7 64-bit

• Intel Core i7-4770K

• Asus Z87-K

• KHX2133C11D3K4/16GX Kingston HyperX (4x4GB) RAM

• Ati Radeon HD5850 graphic card

• Crucial MX100 2.5" 256GB SATA III Solid State Drive

• PSU KRAUN Modular Power Supply ATX 700W

• keyboard logithech usb wireless

• mouse advent wireless

--------------------------->

Thank you

AlessandroGherardi 13:59 31 Jul 2014

Hi, thank you again.

-->>As to the graphics card I meant how does your PC behave without the GPU being installed?

I didn't try with the GPU physicaly not installed.

-->>You will not be a gamer with that card is that correct?

Yes I am. The ati radeon HD 5850 is not that bad ;)

>>Can you check for problems in Device manager?

Which kind of problems do you mean?

-->>You will not be in the UK with that PSU? Not come across that brand before.

I am in UK now but I bought it in Italy

-->>Can you or have you tried with just 2 modules of RAM in the correct slots?

No, I didn't. Since ram modules are new (and quite expensive) I would like to try all other solution before. BTW I had the same issue with the previous HW configuration. Apparently the only part in common are the case, the optical device, the secondary HD (that was primary before) and the power supply.

Tonight I will disconnect the HD

Cheers

AlessandroGherardi 14:19 31 Jul 2014

HI again. No yellow marks on device manager.

Yes, the graphic card is not the most recent, but it is still ok (hopefully). It worked remarkably in the previous configuration. I'll try to remove it tonight and see what happen.

I will remove RAM as well and try 2 modules at time.

Unfortunately I don't have any other PSU.

Thank you

PS. In safe mode the system seems to be stable. I would assume then that there is no hardware issue. Correct assumption?

Ian in Northampton 14:22 31 Jul 2014

If I can interrupt the conversation... :-) Generally speaking, if a system is unstable in 'normal' mode and stable in safe mode, then I would first suspect drivers as, if I understand correctly, the only difference between the two modes is that safe mode loads the minimum number of drivers necessary.

Ian in Northampton 14:25 31 Jul 2014

Now, I'm wondering about my last post... In theory - and I'm speculating here - it's possible that, with drivers loaded, the hardware is exercised more completely/vigorously - which would mean that a hardware issue would be exposed that was not exposed when there were no drivers. For example, I'm thinking: if there are no drivers loaded for your graphics card, it's not being exercised - but when they're loaded, it gets exercised, which may cause a 'marginal' condition to get worse.

AlessandroGherardi 14:41 31 Jul 2014

Thank you Ian, in the card example, I would say it is still a driver issue, isn't it? The system load the driver and the board doesn't work properly. But electrically it is still working (power supply and electronics). So I agree with your first post ;)

AlessandroGherardi 14:58 31 Jul 2014

Hi MechKB,

I don't have another PSU. I will test the system with the onboard gpu.

I will test 2 modules only as well.

I would tend to exclude short circuits: firstly I think in case of short circuit the system would be constantly in failure, secondly I checked many times and I haven't notice any shorts.

Probably the connector is the culprit. hopefully...

Ian in Northampton 20:11 31 Jul 2014

Something we haven't considered yet is a disk error of some sort. The first signs we had of my son's disk going down the pan was random freezes, usually early on after boot and often at similar times (e.g. loading Chrome).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017